Re: Reserving units for families
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:25:33 -0700 (PDT)
> On Mar 17, 2021, at 7:06 PM, Elizabeth Grant <beeegrant [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> River Song Cohousing in Eugene, OR is seeking input from communities that
> have reserved units for families.

I don’t think there is any way to do this legally even though some people may
do it. Discouraging a household with children from moving in is definitely
illegal.

The advice on the list for years has been if you want more children in the
community, build things to attract them — or that their caregivers believe will
attract them. Play areas indoors and outdoors. Game rooms, balls, badminton,
etc.

Another poster mentioned communities not wanting more old women. Problem —
those are the people looking for community. And they are the hard workers with
fewer distractions — having babies, losing jobs, parents dying, etc.
Interestingly it was not always the case that women lived longer than men. Even
though there are slightly more male babies born,  the death rate for men in the
later decades of life is much greater. As people live longer the greater the
ratio of women to men.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10902048/

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
"Affordable means 30% of income, not 80% of someone else’s."
http://affordablecohousing.com