Re: Real Estate Gifts?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 12:27:36 -0700 (PDT)

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 11:50 AM, David Heimann <heimann [at] theworld.com> wrote:
>
> We do have a limit on the length of a long-term rental, so I'm not sure how a
> unit donated as a long-term affordable rental would work.

I would amend your rental policy to apply different expectations to that units.
Phrases that say “with the exception of Unit ##."

> Do you have experience or knowledge with either a temporary or an ongoing
> affordable rental of a donated unit?

We don’t have any experience with donated units. One kind of rental that might
be possible for that kind of unit in DC or a community near a university is a
rental limited to people who are in town to do an internship, fellowship, etc.
People from other countries have rented vacant units because they had a 6 month
or 1 year grant to be here temporarily. This has to my knowledge always been a
positive experience with community members keeping in touch and even going to
visit them later. (One family stayed 3 months and didn’t speak English so that
kind of relationship didn’t develop.)

We have a delightful group of Germans who were here for an accessibility
conference that lasted longer than the usual Guest Room Policy allowed. They
gathered every evening in the CH to play games. As I remember it was a
multi-generational group. They were very cheery and asked lots of questions.

Twelve-year-old Kira’s name was on the whiteboard under birthdays. Kira came
through the common house and someone called her name. The Germans asked me if
that was the same Kira who had a birthday. When I said yes, they asked if it
would appropriate for them to give her a gift, which they did. They had figured
out the unit directory and found her.

The shorter term rentals blend in as easily as the long term rentals. I assume
because they know similar communities at home. We do assign buddies to them.
And it does help if they speak English but often there is someone around who
can translate at least a few words.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines