Re: Sociocracy for Small Groups?
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 08:18:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Frances,
     I believe your small forming community group could use sociocracy
effectively and beneficially, like several other small communities and small
forming community groups. Herding Cats Home, a 7-person shared co-living
community in Calgary (living under one roof and sharing dinners as you've
described in your post), has used sociocracy successfully for several years, as
well as Emerald Village Ecovillage near San Diego, with 10 full members.
Several communities began sociocracy when they had a relatively small group and
were still forming, like Baja BioSana near La Paz, Mexico; Common Ground
Ecovillage (formerly called Hart's Mill Ecovillage) near Chapel Hill, NC; and
Rocky Corner Cohousing near Bethel, CT.
       In my experience as a sociocracy trainer for intentional communities for
9 years, benefits to communities when using sociocracy can be (1) Better
meetings, (2) Getting more done, (3) Being better organized, and (4) Feeling
more connected to other group members.
    However, these benefits occur only if the group meets what I call the "four
necessary conditions" for sociocracy to work well in community. These are, (1)
Everyone learns sociocracy, not just some in the group. (2) The group uses all
the parts of sociocracy, not just some (because the parts work synergistically
to help the group accomplish its work tasks and feel more harmonious as a
group, as well as to reduce and even prevent the typical abuses of power that
occur in communities sometimes), (3) Using sociocracy as your trainer taught
you, rather than trying to combine it with consensus or voting (which doesn't
work!), and (4) Getting periodic review trainings or consultations.
     If you'd like a handouts about the benefits of using sociocracy in a
small, co-living community like you're planning, or in a cohousing
neighborhood, or in any kind of intentional community (with quotes from people
living in communities using sociocracy); an overview of what sociocracy is and
how it works; and the enthusiastic endorsements of people from existing and
forming communities who have taken my 10-week Online Sociocracy Training,
please email diana [at] ic.org, or go to DianaLeafeChristian.org. And I'll also
send information about my next online course, scheduled for Saturday in the
daytime, Sept 4-Nov 6. I wish you and your friends all the best in your
community plans. ;)
     Diana Leafe Christian