Re: Renters in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 13:47:27 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 29, 2021, at 8:35 AM, Zev Paiss <zevpaiss [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was curious if anyone living in Cohousing has experienced an owner not
> allowing their renter to participate in community activities?

The tension here is that an owner is responsible for their renter’s behavior —
attention to community rules, etc. One owner who was not comfortable with her
renters sense of boundaries or decorum asked him not to use the common
facilities. She was upset when unknown to her he was asked to join a team and
participate in various activities. Other members considering him an equal thus
made her uncomfortable.

Thus if the renter is a free agent in the community, the owner can’t be
responsible. Is the community responsible?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC