Re: Renters in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 30, 2021, at 8:55 AM, Fiona Frank <fionafrank [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We’re not allowed to have renters who aren’t members ! They have to do all
> the hoops. We do however occasionally have lodgers and they can’t be
> members so can’t use the common house or food store etc on their own - but
> can if they are hosted

Since you are in the UK, this may be the difference between renters and leasers
in the US. “Renters" tend to mean renting a room from the owner who is still in
residence.

Leasers are people who rent when the owner is not there. They have full
possession of the unit.

We commonly refer to them as renters, too, but in fact they have different
legal rights and responsibilities.

Our leasers are automatically members and expected to be engaged community
members.

Renters have a choice. Some retain roommate status for years and are very
involved. Others are here temporarily, some a few nights a week, and we may
never see them unless they go to work at the same time or something.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC