Re: Common meals
From: Lyn Deardorff (lyn.deardorffoutlook.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 09:00:31 -0700 (PDT)
Our meals area being well attended, perhaps the "pent-up" need to get out and
socialize more after the pandemic.  First, could it be an issue with COVID etc?
 Are the majority of your residents vaccinated?  We have a high vaccination
record here, and I think that is very reassuring for socializing within the
community.  If not,  that could be a factor in attendance.

Our meals team also sponsors Wednesday morning coffee with goodies contributed
by the residents (we have some good bakers here, but others bring store-bought
too).  And we do a "Happy Hour" once a month which is very informal.  Again
this is contributions by residents.  I will add that much of the drinking is of
the non-alcoholic type, accommodating us seniors who have various reasons for
less imbibing than in the past.  And we just did a Sunday brunch that was also
fabulous.  Again, food contributions by residents.  In all cases, not everyone
who comes brings something or even needs to.  That makes it easy for folks to
just show up.  The 25% of or so who do is enough for everyone, and helps keep
our meals budget down.  Generally our only Meals  expense is our
once-a-month-dinner cooked by volunteer resident "chefs", supplemented by
potlucks and the above events.

Lyn Deardorff
Sand River Cohousing
Santa Fe, New Mexico