Re: choosing a community name
From: Pare Gerou (paregerougmail.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 08:17:45 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Sandy,

I feel your pain.  Our Community- Greek Village Cohousing was a brainchild
of mine, and like all founders I became highly invested in the name.  I
shared the name, project materials, and google keywords associated with the
name with explorers and volunteers.  A former volunteer with our group
decided to start his own cohousing community a week after leaving our
group, but instead of choosing a very different name he chose an extremely
similar name and used a nearly identical sounding description as well as
very similar meeting days and times.  The confusion is so serious that
Intentional Communities even confused us during a recent online tour.
Luckily, our project has benefited from the wonderful people at IC and on
this list serve as well as the wonderful skilled members in our group who
have cohousing experience.  Our project has grown into an exciting project
that differentiates us due to all of this synergy-  we have a farm-to-table
location and culture, and we have strong "Ecohousing" expertise- with
members who are permaculture and energy conservation and natural resource
management professionals in our group.  People are very excited about our
potential location on land with a farm and vineyard which is only 20
minutes from a major city as well as gorgeous beach and seaside village.
It is all very exciting and we march on despite the confusion.  I know the
two Heartwoods each have their own location and characteristics as well,
and while I confuse your names too, I never confuse who you are- in fact we
know you are all bakers and invited you to our "Cooking in the Common
House" event (www.GreekVillageCohousiing for free tickets). You all posted
a great video on your FB page about how to use philo, but the video was
from Walmart and we thought you needed a Greek Cooking in the Common House
intervention!  We also know you guys are the ones with incredibly beautiful
land as far as the eye can see and cows sometimes in your backyards : )

Our group plans to eventually add something to the beginning of our name
once we are on the land.  We will use Greek Village Cohousing as a business
name and add a word at the beginning to create a less generic and
meaningful connection with the land or location or group members.  But I
like using the word "Village" in our name and feel that U.S. communities
use "Commons" a lot when they could also use "Village." After all,
Cohousing is the village reimagined....

Sincerely,

PARE GEROU
Greek Village Cohousing