Re: COVID divisions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 08:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 14, 2021, at 7:24 PM, Dean smith via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
> cohousing.org> wrote:
>
> As a forming community seeking members we have a covid-delemma.  Most of our
> members have gotten the vaccine.  Some have not have gotten the vaccine.
> Those who have the vaccine refuse to be around an 40% is not.  If 60% of our
> folks refuse to associate with the other 40%, we could be in for some
> striking divisions.  Should the first question for prospective members be,
> “Have you been vaccinated for Covid-19?"
>
> In an established community  this could even cause it  to split.  Am I over
> reacting or is this an issue?
>
> It seems to me that living in community almost demands that we all protect
> each other be being vaccinated.  Yet those who refuse feel that they have
> good reasons.  Is it possible that the refusers wouldn’t be interested in
> community anyway?

I requoted this whole message because in full it contains all the conflicts of
new communities. Basically, what is cohousing?

1. Is cohousing doing what the majority thinks is the wisest course?
2. Do neighbors decide what is the wisest course?
3. Is everyone expected to do what “everyone” else is doing?
4. Do you reach a consensus on the basis of truth and follow that — as one body?
5. Can groups with beliefs that are so closely associated with lack respect for
science and for reality be good communitarians?

(The closely related unanswered question is: Has anyone found a Republican in
cohousing yet?)

Firstly, I think it is important not to paint everyone with a yes/no brush.
There are all kinds of reasons for not getting vaccinated and for getting
vaccinated — personal health status, religious beliefs, social theories that
favor pandemics as necessary population corrections, etc.

Is it any more positive that many of the vaccinated are only vaccinated because
it was the thing to do. Or their neighbors or parents set up the appointments?

As a decision-making exercise that could benefit the group would be looking at
ways the accommodate both groups. Vaccination is not as we are finding proof
that the person next to you is not infectious. We have 2 residents in
quarantine now who attended a celebration with all vaccinated friends — one of
whom was diagnosed a day later.

So it isn’t, as most questions aren’t, as clear as the reality based
pro-vaccination groups regards it. We have had incredibly good luck with a
COVID team that thinks up things that allow everyone to participate. As
vaccinations now 100% amongst our members eligible for vaccinations, the wall
is getting firmer, however. An upcoming memorial service for a founding member
will be for the vaccinated only and in person. People are done with not seeing
each other, particularly in remembering Steve. We have had 3 social events this
weekend, all in person, vaccinated only. But they were out doors and masks were
welcome though not required. When inside filling a plate of food, masks
required.

The best possible outcome is that the group works together to figure out
solutions that will allow all of them to participate equally without seeming to
endanger or piously protect anyone else. This would be the best cohousing
experience, understanding, and practice.

A story from years ago when finding people who could afford to take a risk by
buying a home in cohousing, a group found themselves confronting a particularly
heated and consequential decision in the very membership when one household
would be observing and making their decision to join or not.

The meeting was long and ran over so much that the group had to move to another
room to finish the process. They expected the observers to leave at that point
— to escape. They didn’t. They stayed to the end and the next day signed up as
invested members.

Everyone had been assuring them that very few meetings were that difficult. But
they said it was the way the group handled the decision that convinced them
that this was a good community. By anyone’s estimate the decision was difficult
and most groups would have avoided it or gotten a legal opinion and left it at
that. This group kept at it long enough to find a result that allowed everyone
to feel comfortable with the final decision. Everyone felt their concerns had
been addressed, everyone was taken equally seriously, and as many
accommodations as possible were made.

So this is a wonderful opportunity for the group to bond around respecting each
other’s differing opinions and for learning more about why some people believe
and others don’t. Where do you look for the truth? What is real?

truth.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Editor & Publisher
Affordable Housing means 30% of household income
Cohousing means self-developed, self-governed, self-managed
http://affordablecohousing.com