Re: COVID divisions
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 05:40:33 -0700 (PDT)
The COVID-21 topic is one that tests a forming community. It is an issue that
summarizes what the cohousing secret sauce is all about. One of the reasons why
cohousing isn't popping up on every street corner is the basic secret sauce
ingredient, which is shedding the American Way as it has been pounded into our
heads since we popped out of the womb.

What society tells us is that we are rugged individuals who can make our own
choices and don't need help from others. Cohousing secret sauce is the
opposite, we give up individual liberty for the good of the whole, albeit,
there's a gray-area balancing zone, which is where community COVID policies
fall.

I read the original post about 60percent think x and 40percent think y and why
can't the y-thinkers just cave to the 60percent. In cohousing, the majority
rule, win by one means of decision making is tossed out the window.

When you find yourself lapsing back into the American Way, take a step back. In
a consensus community, the question is, What is the x-thinkers willing to give
up to bring the y-thinkers into the whole? This doesn't mean that the
y-thinkers can block a decision based on individual discomfort or self-serving
perspectives. The y-thinkers must frame their objections in terms of how their
view is a community issue.

When COVID first hit, my place -- I imagine like most communities -- are
microcosms of the outside world. We have/had a Dr. Google, MD who had all the
answers, was an anti masker he also had a nurse practitioner or two who carried
around his medical bag.

Where we landed was, a resident didn't have to wear a mask, but had to have one
on their person if they encountered anyone in the outdoor common spaces. The
anti maskers were okay with social distancing. We were universally in agreement
to close the common house. The main issue was the arrogance, more than the
actual mask issue.

While it is not talked about, in my view, we are now gearing up for the next
wave.

Thx

Alan O

Alan O'Hashi