Re: HUD Report on Shared Housing
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 17:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
O. Spoke too soon!  I glanced over the report and was thrilled to see
Co-Housing in print.  But unless I have totally missed it ...

Co-living gets a HUGE amount of real estate in this report.

Co-Housing gets a single mention.

Why is this?

Is it because co-living spaces can have hundreds of units?
Easier to build?
More profitable?
Follows standard development practices?  That is, developer initiates, builds,
sells/rents the units?
Because this sector grew so fast so quickly?

Report discusses the importance of shared living in re: reducing loneliness,
etc.  But what about the other benefits of cohousing that co-living may or may
not address?  For example, no latch key kids?  I’m not saying there are
absolutely no latch key kids in cohousing but the opportunity to address this
issue is built into the cohousing model.  I don’t think that’s built into
co-living.

What other factors did this assessment miss by failing to address cohousing?

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & Mbr. Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say "close enough”,  I
agree.

NOTE:  I’m switching back to using zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!