Re: co living and co housing definitions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 20, 2021, at 8:26 AM, CJ Q <homeschoolvideo [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> I see a lot of coliving and co housing confusion in the social
> media world.
>
> Co-Living - Individual renting of private and often furnished rooms,
> typically in multifamily buildings, with shared common spaces in individual
> units and in buildings. Frequently targeting adult professionals in
> high-demand housing markets
>
> co-housing
> Private, individually amenitized, self-contained units or homes clustered
> around
> shared space to form intentional communities, which can be organized formally
> as a homeowner’s asociation or housing cooperative

In terms of zoning regulations and neighbor objections, the most important
issue is whether they people are related or not and whether the building is
owner occupied or not. Commercial co-living spaces are usually not owner
occupied — they are rentals. Others are houses jointly owned by unrelated
people so they are owner occupied but the lack of legal relationship between
them would be an issue in some places. Other places it depends on how many of
them there are. ‘Unrelated’ is often a work around for limiting residents to 4
or 6 people—not 10.

But there is lots of confusion.

> Also, Sharon, can we get the link to your blog?

Under my signature.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Editor & Publisher
Affordable Housing means 30% of household income
Cohousing means self-developed, self-governed, self-managed
http://affordablecohousing.com