Cohousing communities with Sociocracy enshrined in Declaration / Bylaws?
From: Scott Drennan (scottdpobox.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
Are you aware of any cohousing communities which use Sociocracy / Dynamic
Governance, are incorporated as a condominium and:

   1. who have included references to Sociocracy in the Condo Declaration,
   CC&Rs, Bylaws and/or Strata Agreements; or
   2. who use Sociocracy without referencing it in the Condo Declaration,
   CC&Rs, Bylaws and/or Strata Agreements

Our community is in the development phase (about to start pouring slabs!)
and our Development Company incorporates Sociocracy directly in the
Shareholders Agreement. This has worked well for us, and we plan to
continue using Sociocracy after move-in.  Ideally we would like to learn /
borrow from other communities rather than reinventing the wheel but when I
searched the Cohousing-L archives, I didn't find any reference to cohousing
condo communities who have built Sociocracy into their legal agreements.
The discussions I found were Bylaws, the law and Sociocracy
<http://lists.cohousing.org/archives/cohousing-l/msg37048.html> (2014) and
a few others.

We are also exploring this with https://www.sociocracyforall.org but so far
have not had any pointers to communities who have included Sociocracy in
their legal documents.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

cheers,
Scott
Treehouse Village Ecohousing
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
(Under development)
https://treehousevillage.ca

P.S.  I did find one example of a community which has incorporated
Sociocracy into its legal documents: Cohabitat Quebec. Unfortunately the
legal system in Quebec is quite different from the rest of Canada and the
USA, so what they've done doesn't necessarily transfer well elsewhere. They
appear to be constituted as a condominium which delegates all management
authority to a co-op
<https://mk0sociocracyfo3pi1v.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cohabitat-Quebec-case-study.pdf>,
and the coop has sociocracy written into their bylaws. See
https://www.cohabitat.ca/rejoindre-cohabitat/ (and brush up on your French,
or use Google Translate) for regulatory documents for both the condo and
co-op.