Cohousing communities with Sociocracy enshrined in Declaration / Bylaws?
From: Lauren Lake (laurenlake161gmail.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 16:09:08 -0700 (PDT)
Green Grove Cohousing has Dynamic Governance written into our Bylaws. We
trained our original members (+ new arrivals) using courses and coaching from
Sociocracy for All.

Lauren Lake

———————-
Are you aware of any cohousing communities which use Sociocracy / Dynamic

Governance, are incorporated as a condominium and:

1. who have included references to Sociocracy in the Condo Declaration,

CC&Rs, Bylaws and/or Strata Agreements; or

2. who use Sociocracy without referencing it in the Condo Declaration,

CC&Rs, Bylaws and/or Strata Agreements

Our community is in the development phase (about to start pouring slabs!)

and our Development Company incorporates Sociocracy directly in the

Shareholders Agreement. This has worked well for us, and we plan to

continue using Sociocracy after move-in. Ideally we would like to learn /

borrow from other communities rather than reinventing the wheel but when I

searched the Cohousing-L archives, I didn't find any reference to cohousing

condo communities who have built Sociocracy into their legal agreements.

The discussions I found were Bylaws, the law and Sociocracy

<http://lists.cohousing.org/archives/cohousing-l/msg37048.html> (2014) and

a few others.

We are also exploring this with https://www.sociocracyforall.org but so far

have not had any pointers to communities who have included Sociocracy in

their legal documents.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

cheers,

Scott

Treehouse Village Ecohousing

Bridgewater, Nova Scotia

(Under development)

https://treehousevillage.ca

P.S. I did find one example of a community which has incorporated

Sociocracy into its legal documents: Cohabitat Quebec. Unfortunately the

legal system in Quebec is quite different from the rest of Canada and the

USA, so what they've done doesn't necessarily transfer well elsewhere. They

appear to be constituted as a condominium which delegates all management

authority to a co-op

<https://mk0sociocracyfo3pi1v.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cohabitat-Quebec-case-study.pdf>,

and the coop has sociocracy written into their bylaws. See

https://www.cohabitat.ca/rejoindre-cohabitat/ (and brush up on your French,

or use Google Translate) for regulatory documents for both the condo and

co-op.