Re: Cohousing communities with Sociocracy enshrined in Declaration / Bylaws?
From: Scott Drennan (scottdpobox.com)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 16:45:21 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Sharon, Diana, Ted, Lauren, and anyone I missed

Definitely some interesting things to think about beyond just "sociocracy
or not" in bylaws.

- I agree that without a standard reference, saying "sociocracy" doesn't
define things well enough.  Our development company Shareholders Agreement
includes a separate schedule outlining the flavour of sociocracy we
practice (looks to be an earlier or related version of the governance
agreement from SoFA that Ted referenced)
- Finding a balance between "put nothing in the ByLaws" and "put everything
in the ByLaws" seems to require some care, and your various comments on
this will help as we think through this
- The idea of ranked choice as the fallback rather than majority (or 75%
majority, or whatever) is an interesting one, and worth considering

cheers,
Scott

Treehouse Village Ecohousing
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada