Re: National Cooperative Bank -- Community Contacts -- Connections
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:56:36 -0700 (PDT)
I so agree w/ Sharon on this.

On an even smaller scale (or larger scale depending on your view) when Coho
communities are in formation they do a good job of keeping their website and/or
other social media up to date.  That tails off after move in.  If there’s phone
number that leads to a recording it’s not monitored.  If there is a contact
form to fill out … goes unanswered.  It’s frustrating trying to reach even one
person in some communities.

Very recently I emailed a friend at a cohousing community asking for the best
contact for them. I’m often asked for contacts at coho communities by people
wanting to visit or stay.  My friend forwarded the email to three other people
in his community, cc’ing me, asking them to address my request.  So far … more
than a week has lapsed … not a peep.  Maybe expecting a reply in one week is
not feasible in our workaholic society.

Back in the early-ish  ‘90s I remember Zev Paiss addressing this issue of coho
communities being out there in the world during development but once the
community moves in, they close the front gate.  Not too much on this front has
changed since then.The missing piece, I believe, is the lack of a larger,
articulated vision beyond one’s own community, that draws people out and into a
larger stream of connectedness.    But I could be out to lunch on this whole
topic.

As Rosabeth Moss Kanter is often quoted: “The most radical thing we can do is
connect people to one another. That starts conversations toward a vision for
change.”

Cohousing does that connecting thing hands down.  Now, how do we get that
message out in the world?

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & Mbr. Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say "close enough”,  I
agree.

NOTE:  I’m switching back to using zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!