web sites, community contacts and email aliases
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 10:21:10 -0700 (PDT)
It is easier to start a web site than it is to keep the information on
it current. The former is done one time but the latter is an ongoing task.
Ongoing tasks are harder to keep up with.

I think it is a mistake to indicate a website has current information
like events if you do not have the wherewithal to keep the info
current. The minimal website should be like a brochure that gives
basic information and contact information and the latter should be
kept current.

Often it is easier to send email announcements than to keep a calendar
current. Having a prominent link on your web site to the archives of your
public mailing list that includes announcements is one way to make
information accessible via the website.

After development a community's website can change to be less active.
Put dates on information so people know how current the information is.

I recommend not using a personal email address for contact.  Instead
use an email alias that you can keep updated that forwards to
the appropriate person.  This will allow the address on printed
brochures and such to continue to work.  For information about
email aliases see my page http://justcomm.org/em-alias.htm
(A page that probably could use some updating...)

An alternative is a shared dedicated inbox but that requires someone
check it frequently -- another ongoing task...

I urge people to check that the contact information on your community's
website and in the https://www.cohousing.org/ directory is cuurent.

If contact fails via those sites, one way to find email addresses for
someone in a given community is to search the cohousing-L archives at:
http://lists.cohousing.org/archives/cohousing-L/

If all else fails you could write to the Cohousing-L Management Team **
and we may be able to forward your message to a subscriber from the
community. A fair number of the 1100 subscribers indicated their community
when they subscribed. Please dont inundate us with requests.

** The Cohousing-L management is transistioning to a team which currently
consists of Fred Olson and Neil Planchon.

Fred