Re: Workshare/Participation conversations
From: syndallas baughman (syndallasgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:29:12 -0700 (PDT)
So every once in a while this idea of paying for hours not worked comes up in
my community (Great Oak Cohousing) and I wonder how it came to be that Nevada
Cohousing agreed as a community on that idea.
Do you have a work budget process with community by in that fixes the work
hours and requires agreement every year?  How many hours a month work do you
have?  I’m just wondering how that all works.

We have anywhere from 8-12 hours a month of work at GO (plus meetings) and
honestly at the point my kids were both young and at home and I was working 60
+ hours a week that was just impossible for me and I resented the complaints
from some neighbors for not meeting the full quota when the work system
contained whatever any committee wanted to be in the system .  Now that I have
one kid at home and my work is lighter it seems doable but still kind of crazy.
 When I’m retired I’ll probably like having a higher work hour commitment
because I like people and when I withdraw from my work work community some of
that energy will most likely go to my community.

How does Nevada cohousing deal with differently abled residents with physical
limitations  or single working parents of a couple kids or middle aged adults
who have find themselves having heavy elder care duties that go one for years?
Doctors and nurses and teachers during the COVID pandemic.  People who have
stuff going on that they don’t want to share?

Thanks so much for any sharing!

Syndallas