Re: CoHousing HOA DUES: How does your community decide how/what goes into yours?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 10:05:29 -0700 (PDT)
We have HOA dues which are set based on "percentage interest" in the same
way a condo would set them. Some formula of home size, distance to common
house, I don't know what else. It matches the comparable price of the homes
at the start of selling. It covers what an HOA would cover: reserves,
septic, water, plowing, the master insurance policy.

Then, we have the cohousing dues. It covers what makes us cohousing. This
is sliding scale--we calculate the average required per household and the
minimum pledge is 5% of that average. I think the highest pledges are a bit
more than 200% of average. The obvious things are the bouncy house, new
year's eve party, hot tub, stuff that is clearly not HOA.
Not as clear is our little "mini-reserve" for lawnmowers, a snow blower,
shovels, washers and dryers. We keep these in Coho, although if coho fell
apart we'd still need them. Furniture for the great room, landscaping,
garden, all things that might be considered more optional.
We also, every year, futz with the electric bill. It is "essential" and yet
the more expenses we can put into cohousing dues, the more people with less
resources can have lower costs. So we move a bunch of electric to
cohousing. But we know it *must* be paid.

The difference is we can force HOA dues to be paid at the sale of the home
if a person is in arrears. If someone doesn't pay Coho dues we up shi*'s
creek without a paddle. That's the worry.

Worry becomes less and less as the years go by and the disaster doesn't
come, and the reserves grow.

Our HOA dues are *very high*. Mine is almost $500 per month and I'm in the
middle-sized home. Coho is slowly going down--has been as high as $97/month
on average, is around $89 this year I believe.

-Liz
(The Rev. Dr.) Elizabeth Mae Magill
Pastor, Ashburnham Community Church
www.elizabethmaemagill.com