Re: CoHousing HOA DUES: How does your community decide how/what goes into yours?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 11:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 7, 2021, at 1:04 PM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> The difference is we can force HOA dues to be paid at the sale of the home if
> a person is in arrears. If someone doesn't pay Coho dues we up shi*'s creek
> without a paddle. That's the worry.

Thank you for the very nice break down of what you consider condo fees and what
are coho fees. I must say that in fact every thing you list is also part of the
HOA dues in traditional condos. In fact traditional condos are becoming more
like cohousing. #1 reason: People like it. Less turn over. Happier campers. Etc.

But why aren’t the coho dues part of the HOA dues. At some point there were
people trying to sell cohousing units by separating the dues so some units
could be bought without being part of the Cohousing operations. This would
theoretically give them lower condo fees. I don’t know if any of the
communities did this — it was just raised as a possibility.

But everyone benefits on some level from what some people would call extras.
They increase home values by increasing building reputation, resident
satisfaction, sense of community, etc.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Editor & Publisher
Affordable Housing means 30% of household income
Cohousing means self-developed, self-governed, self-managed
http://affordablecohousing.com