Re: Community Contacts
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 19:36:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Chris and all —

Good points about the effort it takes to maintain an outreach program for
cohousing communities.

Our system for handling education and outreach efforts at Takoma Village in
Washington, DC may or may not qualify as “elegant” but it sure is well thought
out!  The outreach and educational aspects of living in cohousing fall to our
Resale and Rental Pod (team) as part of our larger Resale efforts.

1.      We have 4 people on the R&R team.  One person handles the email
requests for information, tours, interviews (college thesis or senior projects
usually).  Another handles all the phone requests.  One person coordinates the
4 Tours per year.  And, one person coordinates all of the above.  If one person
is unable to fill a request they reach out to others on the team.  Having
multiple people on a team reduces work for everyone.

2.      We have 4 tours per year. We have a “script" so we don’t need to
recreate the event every time. All requests by local people for tours are
funneled to the 4 tour dates.  If we get a request from someone living out of
town, it’s dependent on finding someone to give them the tour. We first look to
one of the R&R team to give the tour.  After that we have 1 or 2 other folks we
can tap.  Sometimes we cannot accommodate their requests.  The Tours, BTW, form
the basis for our prospect list that we manage and use to inform people of
sales or rentals.  We keep that list tidy.

3.      If people say they just want to drop by … I ask them not to do that.

4.      If people REALLY want to get to know us, we suggest attending a
membership or team meeting, coming to a social event and, if possible,
attending a work day.  Since we’re not doing meals or other social events right
now we urge people to come to a work day (vaccination required, safely
distanced outdoors, all other Covid protocols, etc.)

5.      Lookie Lous … when people just want to talk to me about TVC and
cohousing … I refer them to our website.  I suggest they plan on attending one
of the tours.

Yes.  Education and outreach in cohousing is a big task along w/ all the other
big tasks people are doing for the community.  No kidding it’s HARD.  If a
community is unable to provide any outreach services such as tours then be
straight about it on your website:  We are unable to accommodate visitors or
provide overnight accommodations at this time. We are also unable to answer
phone calls or email requests.

Now, having said that … boy o boy … Thank you to all the cohousing communities
that opened their doors to us when we were in development.  There were very few
built communities when TVC got underway so the few built communities took the
brunt of folks looking to create cohousing.  We visited communities in MA and
NC.  And thank you to the people who, while getting their own communities
operating, also took the time to create the conferences and workshops we
attended in those early years and continue to do so now as well.  We owe a
karmic debt to you.  The best way to pay that debt is to pay it forward to the
next generation.

Back in 2015 I wrote an email to this list about the etiquette of visiting
cohousing communities and the etiquette for cohousing communities to state
their availability.  You can download this document:
http://www.midatlanticcohousing.org/top-10-lists.html   It’s the 4th one down
in the list of Top 10 Lists.

Some of this also comes down to how work is shared among the community members.
 I think we had another thread on this …

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & Mbr. Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say "close enough”,  I
agree.

NOTE:  I’m switching back to using zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!