Budget Season & Consent
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:41:33 -0700 (PDT)
(Every night I go to sleep thinking “Tomorrow, I need to start the day by
writing in my blog and on the Coho-US site instead of dispersing ideas into the
clutter of email. And every morning I wake up and respond to email. Mmmm.)

Todays observation was in response to a thread on the community email lists
about a request for replacing worn out kneepads for weeding on workdays and
whether the gardening team wants kneepads. It is “their" budget. The team has
apparently not heard this need because people just buy their own.

The road to organization is littered with silos. Empty silos.

While it seems neat and tidy to organize budgets by teams and their requests,
that can easily become a narrow and exclusive path.

The point of consent decision-making is that it forces the inclusion of
everyone affected by a decision into the making of that decision. Not just in
the final choice, but in the process of determining the final choices.

The most effective solutions are based on the widest range of information.
Information gathering requires inclusion.

A team of 3-5 people may lead the daily provisioning of the community but the
community is the purpose, not the team. A team can't do an excellent job if the
other community members don’t participate in the defining of the desirable and
possible choices.

The wheat may be preserved in the silo but if it only benefits the silo, the
whole point of having it is lost. The silo will be abandoned.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Editor & Publisher
Affordable Housing means 30% of household income
Cohousing means self-developed, self-governed, self-managed
http://affordablecohousing.com