Re: Common Meals payment/reservation options?
From: Richard L Kohlhaas (rlkohlearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
This is what we do at Casa Verde (until the pandemic):

          Community  Meals  at Casa Verde Commons
                 Colorado Springs, Colorado

Since we moved in (2003), we have had community meals twice a week (Sundays,
and alternating Tues, Weds and Thurs
evenings).  The Sunday meals alternate between brunch and evening meal.
Currently, only about one-half to two-thirds of
families participate; some sign up for only half the meals, and some may drop
out for a cycle or two.  A three-person team does
the scheduling, coordination, and pantry stocking .

We have four-person crews: during one cycle (about 3.5 months), EACH (adult)
participant MUST be head cook once, assistant
cook once, and on cleanup two times.  Sometimes two people will sign up for all
four jobs (two times).  The head cook plans the
menu, shops, and PAYS FOR THE FOOD, AND THEN EATS FREE the rest of the cycle.
The menu can be as elaborate as the
cook desires.  This minimizes cash handling and accounting.

Non-participating residents (strictly limited) and guests pay $5 per meal, with
$3 going to the head cook and $2 to the pantry
fund.  (Guests of the head cook are not charged.)  The pantry is additionally
financed with about one-fifth of our $8/adult/month
community dues, and is stocked with spices, rice, pasta, flours,  condiments,
lentils, beans, butter, cooking oil, coffee, tea, etc.
The cook  can draw on this as needed.  Food is usually served cafeteria-style.
If necessary, the cook will prepare a vegetarian
dish and offer gluten-free items.

The schedule for a new cycle (after the number of those participating is
determined) is posted on line.  Participants mark the
schedule when they can  do a cooking or cleanup task; the meal coordinator then
assigns the tasks.

The menu is usually published before the meal by the head cook.  There is a
"permanent" meal sign-up list; persons who will not
be eating and any guests are urged to so-mark the list at least three days
before the meal so the cook can plan quantities.

The head cook has first choice of any leftovers, and may offer them to the
other diners.  Very little is wasted.  If a participant will
miss a mealtime, they can ask another participant to pick up a "late plate" for
them.

The system works well.  The food is usually very good to excellent. There is a
variety of cuisines and very rarely has a meal been
more than 15 minutes late, and very few have been missed-usually due to illness.

In addition to the two common meals per week, we have potlucks (cookouts in
warm weather) on major holidays.

9/27/21