Re: Antifreeze Based Fire Suppression Systems
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
In my former community, in the DC area, we had a regular water-based ("wet")
system for the building interior and a pressurized-air ("dry") system for the
shelter on the roof since those pipes are open to the elements and water would
be subject to freezing. A dry system works by storing compressed air in the
exposed pipes. When a sprinkler head is activated, the air is released from the
pipe, which opens a valve and allows water to flow from sheltered interior
pipes to the sprinkler head.
I was interested in your question because I hadn't heard of antifreeze-based
systems before. I figured you must live in a very cold climate. The DC area
doesn't get *that* cold, or not for long periods of time. Maybe dry systems
aren't suitable for very cold areas like Michigan.
Our dry system was super-fussy. It was responsible for almost all of the false
fire alarms we had in the several years after move-in. (I can't speak to
current performance.) In hindsight, I think I would have welcomed an
antifreeze-based wet system as an alternative.
I'm happy to chat offline. I learned a lot about the system and in fact wrote
up some operation and maintenance instructions that I would be happy to share
if I can dig them up.
Katie Henry