Re: Potentially dangerous dogs in cohousing
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 20:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
 Here are our policies regarding dogs. The leash rule was very difficult to
get agreement on (the libertarians vs the dog-phobic) and we considered it
an interim policy that we would update after having some experience with
it, but it was never brought up again; the Pet Covenant Task Force was
exhausted and quit meeting. We're now at nearly 20 years in residence, with
this same leash policy for 13 years.

We never tried to regulate by type of dog. In the last 20 years we've had
two dangerous dogs and neither was a pitbull.

Muriel @ Shadowlake Village (SLV), Blacksburg VA

Leash rule for dogs (consensed on August 14, 2008):

All dogs, both residing at SLV and visiting SLV, will be on a leash and
under the immediate control of its owner or a capable custodian while off
the property of its owner or custodian and on SLV common property, with the
exception of the ball field and the woods. Dogs who are accompanied by
their owners or a capable custodian may be off a leash only in these two
areas and the owner or custodian must carry a leash and put the dog on a
leash if they encounter other dogs in the area. Dogs residing at SLV may be
off a leash when accompanied by owner or a capable custodian on SLV common
property if they have passed the requirements for and have attained a
Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate from the AKC. This shall be in effect
until the community consenses on a proposal brought forth by the Pet
Covenant Task Force.

Vaccinations for dogs (consensed on October 9, 2008)

All dog owners will maintain certificates of their dogs’ up-to-date rabies
vaccinations.