Re: helping neighbors share common meals if they can't afford to pay
From: Kelly Bachman (happyvalleykellygmail.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:38:42 -0700 (PDT)
Muriel, Here at Bellingham Cohousing, we have a Hardship Fund we use to pay
the dues (including meals charges) for up to 6 months for a Member having
temporary financial hardship. (Like losing a job or big medical expense.)
Money comes into the fund through voluntary member donations or fundraising
like a special wine dinner for members and their guests.

Members in need may apply to the treasurer for a grant. A 3-person team
evaluates the application and makes a determination. There is no special
form. The member just sends an email describing their situation and
referencing the Hardship Policy.  We don’t require any proof.  The
application and grant are kept confidential.  After the grant is approved,
the treasurer credits their account. The 3-person team consists of the
treasurer, the president of the board, and a person outside the community.

After a grant is made, the member may apply for an extension once. Then
they must wait 5 years to apply again.

The fund has been used 5 times in 10 years.

Currently, we are pondering whether to modify the policy so that it could
help with a special assessment, or with an ongoing financial difficulty
like the dues going up faster than a fixed income.

Kelly
Bellingham Cohousing