Grow Community Bainbridge Is. Washington State
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:03:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all —

This article is about the GROW community on Bainbridge off the coast of Seattle
is so very similar to cohousing except in size.  This is a drop-dead gorgeous
community.  You may need a subscription to DWELL+ to read it on-line but you
can also get it through your local library.

This is their website:

https://growbainbridge.com

This was a HUGE undertaking.  Looks as if they have 4 phases or 4
developments/neighborhoods that make up the overall GROW community.  The
communities each have their own micro neighborhoods.

The title of the article in DWELL+:

It Takes a Village
On Washington’s lush Bainbridge Island, on community strives of quality of life
as a sustainable initiative.

https://www.dwell.com/article/grow-community-the-village-davis-studio-architecture-and-design-8983effc?utm_source=Dwell&utm_campaign=9962227e29-EMAIL_DAILYDOSE_20211029&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4c4807afd1-9962227e29-170145418

The article talks about how GROW in its initial phase wanted to be a net zero
sustainable community and not build $900,000 homes.  But it didn’t say how much
the homes cost at the time of move-in nor what they cost now.  Digging a little
bit for current pricing:  1,100 sf to 1800+sf range from $600k to $925k.  Like
everyone else … the market overcame the intentions.

Still … we can learn a lot from our cohousing cousins!

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & Mbr. Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

Good judgment comes from experience.  And experience?  That comes from poor
judgment.

NOTE:  I’m switching back to using zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!