Re: Funding structures for purchasing property for retrofit
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Maggi!

Congrats to your friends who are starting their coho community!

There’s not enough information in your description of the group for me to
formulate a good response.

Can you tell the list a little bit more about the group and its model or plan
for this retrofit development?

Are they buying up homes on a block?  Buying a single building?  Combination
buying housing stock and building new homes?

Have they put together a financial package to show the lending institutions?

Most importantly … are they working w/ a cohousing professional to guide their
process?  If not, do you think they would consider working w/ a cohousing pro?
This can be a game changer for any forming group.  Working w/ a professional
just relieves the stress, anxiety and gnarliness of development especially
around funding.

Looking forward to hearing more about this newly forming group.

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & Mbr. Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

Good judgment comes from experience.  And experience?  That comes from poor
judgment.

NOTE:  I’m switching back to using zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!