Re: Neighborhood scale [was: Re: is this the cure for the loneliness of American motherhood: opinion piece in NYT]
From: Kathy Ahlers (kathytccoho.org)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:33:37 -0800 (PST)
Yes, the potential is there.
In Minneapolis/St Paul, the NextDoor.com platform (which is available all
over the U.S.) is used in some similar ways for sharing/trading/bartering,
though there also are discussions, and the discussions often go off the
rails.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen as one of the "team leads" for my
neighborhood, the platform is equally powerfully used to reinforce
philosophic divisions--one example: there are continual dust-ups online
between people who are vociferous gun owners vs. those with a more peaceful
bent who don't believe in owning guns. Most often, these conversations on
divisive issues seem to drive the wedge in further rather than open a space
for understanding.

Kathy

Kathy Ahlers
board member
Twin Cities Cohousing Network, a 501c3 organization
tccoho.org
Follow us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/TwinCitiesCohousing/?ref=nf>

.