Rental Policies
From: Jennifer T (jennifer.taubgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:01:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi –

I am a resident of JP Cohousing in Boston.

I am interested in gathering information about the rental policies in other
cohousing communities.

Do you allow any privately owned unit rentals? Long term? Limit the number
of renter occupied units?

Our rental policy was established prior to move in (16 years ago) and was
designed to discourage rentals and encourage owner occupied units. It
allows an owner to rent their unit for up to one year.  After that it
requires community approval, but is considered a special circumstance and
has never been granted for more than 2 years. (We have no restrictions on
renting a part of an owner occupied unit - e.g. renting a bedroom to a
roommate).

I do not believe we stipulate what role renters should play in the
community.

All of the renters we have had have brought energy and excitement to our
community.

I am seeking information about how other cohousing communities have
structured their rental policies, and any other information about how
renters (vs owners) are expected to participate in the life of the
community. I am NOT seeking info about rental units that are owned
collectively by the cohousing community.

Thank you! Jennifer Taub 857-205-6778