Cantine's Island group
From: Lee Haring (LEHBCCUNYVM.CUNY.EDU)
Date: Sat, 22 May 93 12:21 CDT
The Cantine's Island cohousing group will be building twelve modular houses on
a peninsula on Esopus Creek in Saugerties, New York (northeast Ulster County).
We are seeking new member households to add to our present group.

Legally we will be a homeowners' association. Our bylaws st
ate that we make decisions by consensus. We decided on an HOA rather than a coo
p because local bankers don't know coop loans, but we resemble a coop in that m
ortgage-holders will lease their property to the HOA, which in turn subleases t
he dwellings to each member. Mortgage-holders will thus hold five lots, but twe
lve dwellings will be situated on them, to make it possible for some who are no
t "bankable" to be members of the community. The HOA will have complete authori
ty and discretion to determine who occupies which space, etc., and to own and i
mprove the common portion of the property.  --  Clearly, we have thought about
many of the same problems as others on this network. Let us hear from you!