Re: COHOUSING-L digest 17
From: Alan Murray (alan_minterphase.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 00:04 CST
>Subject: Introducing myself and my project, EcoVillage of Ithaca, N.Y.

>In answer to the recent call for introductions, I will try to stop being
>intimidated by the magnitude of the task and write *something* about
>myself and EcoVillage of Ithaca.

Hi Steve,

I hear so many good things about Ithaca.  What is the general
economy/employment situation like there?

What makes Ithaca so conducive to co-op type activities?

Your group seems to have kept the cost of bying into cohousing to an
affordable range.  If I read your post right $8,000 and a commitment to
hard work begins the process.  When I hear sums of 100k plus I fear that
I would have to write cohousing off as unreachable by me.

As people today are routinely discarded by the industrial machine regardless
of their qualifications and intelegence, having a community net under them
becomes an economic essential.  I predict the success and popularity of all
kinds of community will rise in perportion to the uncertainty of the old
employment model.

I'm very encouraged to hear of EVI and hope you will post more.  I had lived
in a commune in the 70's.  The cooperation on a material level worked well
while the structure left much to be desired.  I'm ready to try again.

Alan