Re: BUILDING MATERIALS RESEAR
From: Tom Patton (tomunison.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 17:05:40 +0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Apr 1994, Tom Patton wrote:

> > Someone informed me today that there are Usenet newsgroups devoted to
> > homebuilding.  Do any of you have knowledge about the name or content of
> > such a newsgroup?
>
> The two newsgroups I have seen are:
>
> alt.architecture
> alt.architecture.alternative

I came across a *huge* amount of info on architecutre/building
resources on the net.  Found it with mosaic.  The location of
the document is:

gopher://una.hh.lib.umich.edu/00/inetdirsstacks/archi%3abrown

But I thought I'd include it for those with limited internet access,
though it is a bit long.  Although this is in response to a particular
question, it seems like relevant info for all involved in co-housing.

Enjoy

  -----------------------------------\/---------------------------------
   Tom Patton                                      Unison-Tymlabs
   tom_patton [at] unison.com                           Austin, Texas USA
  -----------------------------------/\---------------------------------

 INTERNET SOURCES: ARCHITECTURE/BUILDING

Compiled by Jeanne M. Brown
Architecture Studies Librarian
University of Nevada, Las Vegas

This edition is dated February 1994.  Additions and/or
changes to the previous edition (11-93) are indicated with
an *.  All of Section 1c and Section 11 are additions.
Thanks to Kim Larsen, Peter Stott, Kazys Varnelis, Gunter
Enzi, and Ziga Turk for their comments and suggestions.

I plan on issuing periodic revisions and additions, to be
posted to the University of Michigan Clearinghouse for
Subject-Oriented Internet Research Guides, and would
appreciate receiving corrections and/or suggestions.  They
may be sent to jeanneb [at] nevada.edu or to Jeanne Brown,
The University Libraries, Box 45-7001, University of
Nevada Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV 89154-7001. This is
not purported to be a comprehensive list; nor can I
guarantee that it is completely error free.  Nonetheless it is
hoped that it will assist those interested in architecture and
building in their use and explorations of the Internet.

Knowledge of basic Internet operations such as gopher,
telnet, ftp etc. is assumed.

Keywords include: architecture, building, construction,
AEC

Copyright: Permission is granted to use this material for
non-commercial purposes, provided the author is credited.

Contents:
          Section 1: Gopher Collections
                a. general collections of which architecture
                is a part
                b. gophers devoted to architecture/
                 construction/ building
*               c. gophers of architecture schools/university
                programs
          Section 2: WWW-based Information Servers
          Section 3: Electronic Journals
          Section 4: Listservs
          Section 5: Newsgroups
          Section 6: Full Text
                    Section 7: Images
          Section 8: Indexes
          Section 9: Library Catalogs
          Section 10: FTP Sites
*         Section 11: Government Information Sources

Format: Following the gopher, ftp, www, or telnet address,
separated by slashes, is the path to the material described.
For example, UNLV's Architecture Studies Department has
material on the UNLV gopher, but to get there you must
first gopher to sparkie.nevada.edu, then choose UNLV
Campus Information, then choose College of Engineering,
before finally being offered the choice Architecture Studies.
This is indicated in the standard format:
sparkie.nevada.edu/UNLV Campus Information/College of
Engineering/Architecture Studies

Section 1: Gopher Collections.

a.  Many gophers are offering information grouped by
subject or discipline. A few which have good sections
devoted to art and architecture, fine arts, and/or
architecture alone are listed here.

          NCSU's discipline approach. One of the few that
          have separated architecture from art.  At this
          gopher, as of 11/93, you will find ADA
          Regulations, Archigopher, Architronic, and
          Archpics.  Gopher to dewey.lib.ncsu.edu/ NCSU's
          Library Without Walls/ Study Carrels/ Architecture
          (or Disability Information for the ADA
          Regulations).

*         RiceInfo, Rice University discipline approach.
          gopher to riceinfo.rice.edu/ 1/ subject/ architecture.
          One of the two gophers (along with NCSU)
          currently listed in gopher jewels under architecture,
          with a relatively extensive menu including standard
          sources such as Archigopher, but also some not
          usually seen, such as the menu choice for the
          Chicago Architecture Foundation and Netspiro (the
          UCB image library). In my opinion, currently the
          best of this type for architecture and related fields
          (termed in RiceInfo as sub-fields, and including
          building/construction, computer graphics/cad,
          design, environment, horticulture, and urban
          planning).

          UCSB's discipline approach.  This combines art and
          architecture.  Gopher to ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu/ gopher
          central/ Donald C. Davidson Library Gopher/ the
          Arts Library/ Art and Architecture. As of 11/93 you
          will find the ACM SIGGRAPH Online Bibliography
          Project, Archigopher, Artbase: Bibliography of Arts
          Online, Ceramics gopher, Listservs in Art, the
          Vatican Library Exhibition, and a UCSB Library
          Reference Guide for Art.

          Library of Congress' discipline approach.  Gopher
          to marvel.loc.gov/The Global Electronic Library/
          The Arts.

          Output Magazine. It calls itself a magazine, but its
          really a collection of items gleaned from the
          Internet.  It is all supposed to be design-related,
          although the relation is sometimes only in the eye of
          its creator.  Gopher to bongo.cc.utexas.edu/ UT
          Austin/ Departments and Projects/ Output
          Magazine.  Includes postings from various net lists,
          such as DESIGN-L (see mailing lists on initial
          menu).

          Carnegie Mellon's gopher is Mac-based, with lots
          of Mac compressed files. Gopher to english-
          server.hss.cmu.edu/ Art and Architecture. Includes
          postings from alt.architecture (newsgroup),
          Architronic, image files and more.

b. The following gophers are devoted specifically to
architecture, building construction, and related fields.

          libra.arch.umich.edu    Archigopher.  Currently
          concentrating on images, it plans to expand, and
          serve the cause of "dissemination of architectural
          knowledge."
          Included are samples of Palladio's architectural
          projects, CAD images, lunar architecture, and
          Greek architecture.

          daedalus.edc.rmit.edu.au    DAEDALUS Design
          Gopher.  An experimental gopher at the Centre for
          Design at the Royal Melbourne Institute of
          Technology, it is intended to provide "virtual
          document collections that reflect the original nature
          of the research being undertaken at the Centre." The
          particular focus of the Centre is environmental
          design.  Links are provided to other net sources
          under the subjects architecture, building &
          construction, design, horticulture, urban planning,
          and environment.  The Co-operative Network for
          Building Researchers is using this gopher as a home
          as well, with a database of members.

*         gopher.tno.nl    Building and Construction Research
          (TNO-Bouw). Menu choices include Centre for
          Building Research, Centre for Fire Research,
          Building Technology, Indoor Environment, and
          others. Netherlands R & D/ consulting center.

          gopher.tue.nl    OASE (Online Architecture
          Students of Eindhoven), Netherlands

*         irma.hs.jhu.edu    IRMA (Information Reference
          Model for AEC) archive.   It contains papers,
          archives from the email conference, and software
          utilities.

          ari.technion.ac.il  From researchers and students at
          the faculty of Architecture & Town Planning,
          Technion -- Israel Institute of Technology. Topics,
          according to the information they have provided,
          will include "recent construction technologies,
          professional and student architectural projects, and
          historical/theoretical material relevant to
          architectural research."

*         gopher.fagg.uni-lj.si    ICARIS -- Integrated CAD
          in AEC Research Information Server, from
          Slovenia. Just started in August 1993. "The server
          should collect information related to research . . . in
          . . . : topics of the CIB W78, integrated computer
          aided design in architecture-engineering-construction
          industries, topics of the CBR (Computers and
          Building Regulations), AEC Information Systems,
          and automation in construction in general."

*         gopher.iuav.unive.it   Istituto Universitario di
          Architetture, Venice  In addition to information
          about the school, it contains (among other things) a
          link to its library catalog, and a demonstration
          WAIS-searchable SGML database.

* c. More and more university departments and schools are
taking advantage of the capabilities of gopher to mount
information on their programs. Most are "under
development." Many offer menu choices that prove to have
little or no information attached. Their addresses are
included for those interested in this area of gopher
development.

*         cwis.usc.edu/University Information/ Catalogue/
          School of Architecture    University of Southern
          California.  Probably the most extensive data I
          found for an architecture school gopher. Another
          approach to finding information on this gopher
          related to the School of Architecture is to search the
          indexes (a choice on the first menu) by
          "architecture".  This turned up the School of
          Architecture's responses to the provost's questions
          regarding strategic planning, as well as information
          on the Architecture Library.

*         sparkie.nevada.edu/UNLV Campus Information/
          College of Engineering/ Architecture Studies
          University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Planning is
          underway to expand in the next several months.

*         gopher.iuav.unive.it    Istituto Universitario di
          Architetture, Venice. It includes syllabi and research
          projects of the faculty (in Italian) as well as other
          non-school items.

*         gopher.architecture.mcgill.ca   Produced by the
          students in an Architectural Modeling class, the
          projects in siteX provide the substance here.

*         isdec.vc.cvut.cz/ctu inform./ architecture    Czech
          Technical University. A description of the program,
          and staff information.

*         jeeves.egr.msu.edu/composite materials and
          structures center    Michigan State University,
          engineering primarily. The center's information
          includes newsletters and a calendar of conferences
          in the US with the dates of the conference, ate the
          abstract is due, and date the paper is due.

*         gopher.brown.edu/Departments/History of Art and
          Architecture     Brown University. Departmental
          description and concentration requirements.

*         gopher.uoregon.edu/Architecture   University of
          Oregon

*         yaleinfo.yale.edu/Architecture     Yale. At the
          moment, only the school's academic calendar is
          posted, but it includes jury week!

*         minerva.acc.virginia.edu     University of Virginia.
          Although only one of the three menu choices
          contains information (the description), the
          computers in planning menu choice to be developed
          is intriguing.

*         nic.hawaii.net      University of Hawaii School of
          Architecture

*         gopher.msstate.edu /Resources of Interest to Your
          Field of Study/School of Architecture
          Mississippi State University

*         info.umd.edu     University of Maryland School of
          Architecture

*         bongo.cc.utexas.edu/UT Austin/Departments and
          Projects/Output Magazine/SLAB and UT School of
          Architecture   So far this is mostly links to other
          gophers of interest, but it promises that soon will be
          included SLAB Magazine, samples of work, and
          information files.

*         gumby.arch.umn.edu    University of Minnesota,
          College of Architecture & Landscape Architecture.
          Nothing there yet but the advisement "under
          development."

Section 2: WWW-based Information Servers

          The EDV-Lab at the Technical University of Vienna
          (Austria) has set up an architecture-related web site.
          Mosaic URL address:
          http://info.archlab.tuwien.ac.at/info. To enter the
          www system, telnet to info.cern.ch.  One option
          will be www sites by location. For this site, choose
          location, then Austria.  This web site includes
          connections to other architecture-related gophers,
          online art and architecture journals, architecture-
          related newsgroups, and miscellaneous. It (thanks to
          Gunter Enzi) also has produced a hypertext version
          of this list!

          Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory has recently
          announced a gopher and a web site. To get to the
          web site telnet to www.lbl.gov, login:www.
          Access is provided to their gopher, their library
          catalog, and their publications list. The Lawrence
          Berkeley Laboratory has a Center for Building
          Science which has programs in Building
          Technologies (including windows and daylighting),
          Energy Analysis, and Indoor Air Quality.

*         Georgia Institute of Technology graphics,
          Visualization and Useability Center.
          www.gatech.edu/gvu/gvutop.html

          (See also Section 11: Government Information
          Sources.)

Section 3: Electronic Journals

          Architronic, architecture's electronic journal,
          produced by Kent State University Department of
          Architecture and Environmental Design, is available
          at several sites, or you can subscribe by sending a
          message to LISTSERV [at] KENTVM.KENT.EDU :
          subscribe arcitron <name>

*         To have a look at the first issue, gopher to
          marvel.loc.gov/ Global Electronic Library/ the Arts/
          Arts Journals. For the most recent issue, gopher to
          scorpio.kent.edu. Various gophers have different
          issues of Architronic. To generate a list of sites with
          Architectonic issues, search veronica.

          Although Architronic is the only electronic journal
          in architecture, related areas are fielding journals of
          their own.  To find electronic journals in related
          areas, gopher to gopher.cic.net. Journals are
          organized in various ways, including subject. Art is
          a subject; Architecture is under the subject
          "Science" -- as are engineering, environment, and
          other topics of interest.

          send the subscription request to
          LISTSERV@PSUVM or LISTSERV [at] PSUVM.PSU.EDU.
          If you want to view some recent postings, gopher
          to Daedalus or Output Magazine (see above in gopher
          section).

          The lighting discussion group is quite active
          (although less so with the establishment of
          newsgroup sci.engr.lighting), with postings ranging
          from technical to general discussions.  To subscribe
          send subscription request to LIGHTING-REQUEST@garnet.
          nist.gov.

          The only specifically "architecture" discussion group
          is ARQUITECTURA-L, in Spanish, originating in
          Venezuela.  To subscribe send a message to
          listserv [at] conicit.ve.

          Computer-related lists include AUTOCAD@jhuvm.
          hcf.jhu.edu, VTCAD-L@vtvm2.bitnet (or @vtvm2.
          cc.vt.edu), and GIF-L@itesmvf1.bitnet.  There are
          others.

*         A couple of construction discussion groups are
          operating out of the UK: To subscribe to BUILT-
          ENVIRONMENT or IT-RD send a JOIN message
          (e.g. JOIN IT-RD First Name Last Name) to
          mailbase [at] mailbase.ac.uk.  to browse the archives
          of mailbase lists, gopher to nisp.ncl.ac.uk.   Lists
          are in sections, alphabetically by list name.

*         Consortium of Art and Architecture Historians
          (CAAH). This is a restricted list.  To apply send a
          subscribe message to listserv@pucc.bitnet or
          listserv [at] pucc.princeton.edu.  You'll be given
          further instructions by email.

*         Cooperative Network for Building Researchers.  To
          join send a message to edwards [at] rmit.edu.au with
          your name, department, institution; email, fax,
          phone and postal addresses; and indicate your main
          teaching and research areas.

*         ICARIS (see gopher description) also runs a
          discussion group.  To subscribe send message to
          mailserv [at] fagg.uni-lj.si.  the message should read
          SUBSCRIBE ICARIS-L

*         IRMA (also a gopher). to subscribe to the
          discussion list send mail to listserv@jhunix.
          hcf.jhu.edu with SUBSCRIBE IRMA-L in the body
          of the message.

          Lists of listservs in the arts, and their addresses, are
          available at many sites. e.g. gopher to ucsbuxa.
          ucsb.edu, choose gopher central, library gopher,
          arts library, art and architecture.  For a selected list
          aimed at architecture interests, see the article in
          C&RL News April 1993.  Easy access to the
          standard Kovacs list by academic discipline is
          provided at the University of Saskatchewan (gopher
          to gopher.usask.ca, choose Computing, then
          Internet Information, then Directory of Scholarly
          Electronic Conferences). This list is searchable by
          keyword.

Section 5: Newsgroups

*         alt.architecture is the name of a "newsgroup" or
          informal discussion group.  Some topics which have
          been discussed in the past are architecture schools,
          alternatives to fiberglass insulation, pedestrian
          malls, and gargoyles.  You can read the most recent
          postings to alt.architecture by gophering to RiceInfo
          (see above).   Other usenet newsgroups of interest
          are alt.cad, alt.planning.urban, sci.engr.lighting,
          and misc.consumers.house. The gopher at the
          Virginia Polytechnic (gopher.vt.edu) accesses 46
          usenet news servers (each server has thousands of
          newsgroups), including their own. An excellent site
          for browsing through newsgroups. And hopefully
          your system will have local news feeds and readers
          (such as RN, TIN, or Trumpet) to read these groups
          at will.

Section 6: Full Text

          Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  The full-
          text of the ADA is available online at several
          locations. Gopher to vienna.hh.lib.umich.edu/
          topics/ libraries/ ADA, or gopher to dewey.lib.
          ncsu.edu/library without walls/ study carrels/
          disability information/ ADA. One problem with the
          online edition is that it is long, and frustrating to
          use if you want to do a quick browse.  Perhaps
          soon there will be a searchable online edition.

*         Documents related to the ADA are at gopher
          info.umd.edu/educational resources/united states
          government/ ada regulations

          The Carnegie Mellon gopher (english-server.hss.
          cmu.edu) includes full text of some article-length
          pieces, e.g. "Office Patterns." Choose Art and
          Architecture, then Text.

          Architronic, the electronic journal described above,
          is of course also "full text."

*         Commerce Business Daily. Gopher to cscns.com.
          Searchable index for last day, and last ten days.
          Commerce Business Daily "announces invitations to
          bid on proposals requested by the US Federal
          Government.  This gopher is updated every business
          day."

Section 7: Images

          Unless you have mosaic on your system (and many
          of us do not), images on the Internet must be
          retrieved and downloaded before viewing.  Software
          for viewing is also necessary.  Several freeware
          software can be obtained easily from the Library of
          Congress gopher: marvel.loc.gov/ Library of
          Congress: Facilities, Activities, and Services/
          Events and Exhibits/ Online Exhibits/ [any of the
          exhibits listed]/ viewers.  Information in the
          README will help you select the appropriate
          viewer.

          CAD models, architecture projects, Palladio Image
          Archive, Lunar architecture --- all this and more can
          be found at the archigopher. Gopher to libra.arch.
          umich.edu.

          Johns Hopkins' gopher includes several images.
          Gopher to gopher.hs.jhu.edu, choose Images, then
          Architecture.

          Images are posted to the newsgroups alt.binaries.
          pictures.fine-art.graphics (for pictures done using
          computer graphics programs) and alt.binaries.
          pictures.fine-art.digitized (for reproductions).
          Archives are available for ftp from uxa.ecn.bgu.
          edu/pub/fine-art.

          The Carnegie-Mellon gopher (english-server.hss.
          cmu.edu) includes many images, as well as pointers
          to many of those elsewhere, in both dos and mac
          formats. Choose Art and Architecture, then either
          Gopher or Images.

          The Otis collection of images is available for ftp:
          ftp to sunsite.unc.edu/pub/multimedia/pictures/otis.

*         Texas A & M images collection.  Gopher to
          gopher.tamu.edu / Hot topics: A & M's Most
          Popular Items/ Images     Images include those
          from University of Michigan, the Vatican Library,
          the Bodleian Library, the University of
          Pennsylvania's Art History Slide Tray, and Johns
          Hopkins.

*         Mostly for mac: ftp to archie.au/graphics/
          graphics/mirrors/Architecture

*         University of California Berkeley image library
          (requires xwindows). Accessible through Riceinfo
          (gopher to riceinfo.rice.edu/1/subjects/Architecture).

Section 8: Indexes

          ACM SIGGRAPH Online Bibliography Project.
          Searchable by keyword, this online bibliography
          will turn up lots of material on such topics as CAD
          and computer graphics.  It is available at several
          gophers, including UCSB and Library of Congress.

          Arizona State's Solar Energy Index can be searched
          by telnetting to pac.carl.org, choose Other Library
          Catalogs, then Arizona State.

          Uncover, a table of contents index covering many
          architecture periodicals (1986- ), is now accessible
          without charge. Telnet database.carl.org and choose
          Uncover.

          Archpics, an index to architectural illustrations, is
          available through the NCSU gopher (see above), or
          directly from Carnegie Mellon (telnet library.cmu.
          edu, login:library).

          Artbase: Bibliography of Arts Online is available at
          several gophers, including UCSB.

*         Art/Architecture titles from Princeton University
          Press.  Gopher to gopher.pupress.princeton.edu

Section 9: Library Catalogs (a sampling).

          To obtain the telnet address and logon procedures
          for libraries not listed below, gopher to
          yaleinfo.yale.edu, choose Research and Library
          Services, More Research and Library Services,
          Library Catalogs Beyond Yale.  The list is
          searchable by location or keyword.

          Julia Morgan Collection, San Simeon: Calpoly State
          University, San Luis Obispo. Telnet library.calpoly.
          edu (to exit type x at menu).

          Roman Ecclesiastical Architecture, University of
          Wisconsin Milwaukee. Telnet uwmcat.lib.uwm.edu
          (to exit type exit or end).

          Columbia University Library. Telnet columbianet.
          columbia.edu (to exit type q twice). The Avery is
          the premier architecture collection; however their
          online catalog, named CLIO, dates from 1981 only.

          Carnegie Mellon. Telnet library.cmu.edu. Includes
          archpics, an index to architectural illustrations.

*         Iowa State Visual Resources Collection (College of
          Design) index. Gopher to isumvs.iastate.edu/ISU
          Research Information/VRC    Indexes for medium,
          country, artist, title, style, technique, century,
          location. Includes architecture.

          EPA National Catalog Database. Telnet epaibm.
          rtpnc.epa.gov.

          Rensselaer Polytechnic (including a separate
          architecture slides database). Telnet infotrax.
          rotary.its.rpi.edu. About 30,000 volumes in
          architecture, with a special interest in emerging
          technologies.

          Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (see WWW-based
          Information Servers above).

          University of California. Telnet melvyl.ucop.edu. In
          addition to strong collections in architecture at
          UCLA (23,000 volumes) and Berkeley (160,000
          volumes), the UC Melvyl catalog is also a gateway
          to the catalogs of many other impressive collections
          including Harvard, Princeton, Penn State, Yale.

          Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries (including
          Arizona State University). Telnet pac.carl.org.
          Arizona State has an architecture collection of about
          20,000 volumes, and specializes in solar and energy
          efficient design.

          Harvard. Telnet hollis.harvard.edu. Login: hollis.
          VT100 required.  About 235,000 volumes in
          architecture.

          Yale. Telnet umpg.ycc.yale.edu port 6520.  VT100
          required. About 75,000 volumes in architecture,
          with emphasis on theory and research.

          University of Michigan. Telnet hermes.merit.edu.
          At host? prompt type mirlyn.  VT100 required.
          About 50,000 volumes in architecture.

*         University of Maryland College Park, including the
          National Trust Library. Telnet victor.umd.edu,
          select pac, select University of Maryland College
          Park.

Section 10: FTP sites (Additional sites can be identified by
searching archie).

*         Otis: sunsite.unc.edu/pub/multimedia/pictures/OTIS
          In addition to the OTIS choice, you can choose
          vatican archives or smithsonian.

          Disability info: handicap.shel.isc-br.com/pub/legal

          Iconoclass:nic.switch.ch/database/marburg/seiten
          (file ico.dok therein)

*         Mostly for mac: archie.au/graphics/ graphics/
          mirrors/architecture

          Images posted to newsgroup alt.binaries.
          pictures.fine-art: ftp uxa.ecn.bgu.edu/pub/fine-art.

*Section 11: Government Information Sources (a selection
of those thought to be of interest to architecture/building.
Extensive guides to government sources are found at the
University of Michigan Clearinghouse for Subject-Oriented
Internet Research Guides).

*         Many gophers link to government information,
          including (of course) the Library of Congress
          gopher (marvel.loc.gov) and InfoSlug at the
          University of California Santa Cruz (gopher to
          scilibx.ucsc.edu/the community/guide to
          government)

*         A good collection of US government gophers can be
          found at the UC-Irvine gopher.  Gopher to gopher-
          server.cwis.uci.edu/ virtual reference desk / US
          government gophers.

*         NTIS FedWorld, in addition to NTIS information,
          is a major gateway to government information, but
          difficult to access as often busy.  Telnet
          fedworld.gov

*         Environmental Protection Agency gopher. Gopher
          to rtpnc.epa.gov.  It includes ACCESS EPA, a
          directory full of information, that also refers you to
          other sources, and a link to the EPA online library
          catalog.

*         Water Resources. Gopher to gopher.c-wr.siu.edu.
          This is not produced by the government, but
          includes some government-produced information,
          such as the USGS WRSIC Research Abstracts.

*         NSF: ftp or gopher to stis.nsf.gov   Publications,
          awards, agencies. Also links to other government
          gophers.

*         Code of Federal Regulations and the Federal
          Register. Gopher to gopher.netsys.com /
          counterpoint publishing.  Searchable, but full
          information available only for a fee.

*         US National Archives, Center for Electronic
          Records. ftp to ftp.cu.nih.gov/
          NARA_ELECTRONIC    The file contains the
          Center's title list of data files. Or gopher to
          marvel.loc.gov/ federal government information/
          national libraries and national archives.

*         OSHA gopher, including image software, medical
          library, research grants, workstation ergonomics,
          and a searchable OSHA database.  Gopher to
          stellate.health.ufl.edu

*         National Institute of Standards and Technology.
          Gopher to zserve.nist.gov   Including information
          on their laboratory programs, such as the Materials
          Science and Engineering Laboratory, and the
          Building and Fire Research Laboratory.

*         Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Environmental
          Sciences Division gopher and www site. Gopher to
          jupiter.esd.ornl.gov.  WWW server:
          http://jupiter.esd.ornl.gov.

*         US Budget, searchable by keyword: gopher-
          server.cwis.uci.edu/ virtual reference desk

*         Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance.  A WAIS-
          searchable database.  Available on the WAIS list, or
          gopher to marvel.loc.gov/federal government
          information/ federal information resources/
          information by agency/ general information
          resources

*         Environmental Safety and Health Information
          Center.  A WAIS-searchable database.

*         Census of Population and Housing -- 1990 data with
          comparisons from 1980.  Gopher to
          bigcat.missouri.edu/ reference center.

*         Federal Information Exchange, on research
          programs, grants and more.  Gopher to
          fedix.fie.com

archnet2
2-94