Puget Ridge's kitchen - wow!
From: vicky de monterey (dryadhalcyon.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 94 21:25 CST
> On Fri, 2 Dec 1994, Judy wrote:
>
>> I've just been told that our local officials (I think it was the Health
>> Dept)
>> have changed their minds.  Before, they said we were not considered to have a
>> commercial kitchen  - now, apparently, they think we have to (i.e. follow
>> those
>> rules). What have other groups done/been told/etc. ?
>
> Now, I'm not the most knowledgable person on this, but I think Puget
> Ridge co-housing had to have a commercial kitchen, though they were
> exempted from the two gender segregated bathroom bit (which often comes
> with the commercial kitchen....)
>
> By the way, if any of you ever get a chance to visit the Puget Ridge
> kitchen, I'd really recommend it.  (It's gorgeous!  Custom made work
> table, plenty of buttspace and all!)
>
>                                       Catherine
I was at Puget Ridge last eve. Their common house _is_ an awe-inspiring
structure, and I agree about the kitchen! They have a large six-burner
residential stove, but chose not to go with a commercial one because,
as Marci explained, they would then have been required to have an
expensive commercial hood for it. Their fridge is a three-door stainless
commercial-style unit, looks bigger than three domestic fridges. They
have a single bathroom on the eating/living level of the common house.

In the kitchen they have a large irregular-shaped round-cornered butcher
block island with a thin strip of walnut inlay; it's very nice, and
Marci notes it allows them to work facing each other. It's obvious they
spent a lot of energy (despite ever-present budget constraints) on the
design of the kitchen and the whole common house.  I found their one- to
four-bedroom homes (all share at least one wall, but are very private)
to be very good quality construction, but a bit short on storage space.
Some, like Marci, are in the process of remodeling to rememdy that and
other more personal requirements not included in their standardized sets
of options. Larry showed us his one-bedroom home, and the FOUR samples of
kitchen countertop from which they got to choose. These kinds of
limitations apparently allowed significant cost savings.

If anyone from Puget Ridge is reading, I'd like to thank you all for
your hospitality and tolerance while we held a monthly vanguard party
(sci-fi writers and afficionados, and computer pros, and other stray
elements) at your common house. For less than six months of residency the
place looks wonderful, and you were very open with us gawkers. Thanks!