RE: Consensus-A Time to Rethink?
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 17:59 CST
Tom Moench asks:
 >Why do we build into our consensus building processes the right to block
>(e.g., red cards) the will of the group in arriving at a decision?  Doesn't
>this promote individualism?

I believe there are at least two prerequisites for a group to use
consensus. It is my belief that groups which do not have these two
prerequisites are making a mistake by using consensus to make decisions
and would be better off voting.

 In order for consensus to function everyone in the group has to agree
that the good or the mission of the group is more important than their
own personal agenda. There has to be a commitment to the group.
Consensus blocking is only reasonable , in my opinion, if the blocker
fully believes that the proposed course of action is not in the best
interests of the group.  When someone blocks because it is not in the
best interests of the group, it is usually pretty easy to figure out a
solution by just asking, why does this course not serve the best
interests of the group?

One of the reasons consensus may fail cohousing groups is that they
often lack any real sense of commitment to a mission or purpose.
Groups which I have been in which use consensus very well, such as
greenpeace, have a very strong mission and thus consensus works very
well because everyone has that mission commitment in mind when they
block consensus.

It is common for people to block because a decision is not in their own
best interests and this scenario really is ripe for majority voting,
not consensus.  The process of "standing aside" can be used for
individual concerns.

Another prerequisite for consensus is open and honest communication
among the group.  If people will not state the truth, or are afraid to
say their honest feelings, then again consensus does not work as a
decision making process.

It is not uncommon for individuals who block, or even holding
alternative opinions,  to be vilified, targets of angry outbursts,
called names, and generally given negative feedback.  When this occurs
you have an environment where consensus is not possible because only
the very strongest person, who can take that kind of abuse,  will ever
speak up.  Consensus values and honors the individual and their
commitment to the group.  If someone blocks they should not have to
defend themselves at all, rather be given a chance to speak, if they
wish to at that time, or encouraged to at a later time.  They should
not have to answer to an angry mob as if they were in a firing squad.

Consensus assumes there is a best answer for the group. Sometimes there
is not.  Some decisions come down to personal preference and should
just be voted on, for example the color of the tile in the commonhouse
bathroom. I like green, you like brown. Brownish-green is ugly.
Greenish-brown is ugly. There is no right answer, only my and your
preferences and if we are both equally adamant about our preferences
then consensus is a useless waste of time. Assuming either color is
equally valid as a choice then there is no best answer.   Granted we
could spend hours and hours and hours until someone gave in on the
decision, but that isn't consensus, its just wearing down opposition to
your point of view.

In my opinion, it is in the best interests of any group to clearly
define what consensus means, how you will know you have it, and what
types of decisions it should be applied to and not applied to.  It is
better to be flexible about decision making to fit the right kind of
decision making to the right sort of decision than trying to make all
sizes of decisions fit a single model.  In the forming stages of values
statements and such consensus may work well.  As development happens
you will have to make fast decisions and consensus may not serve your
purposes.  During building it may be better to have an individual or
small group making decisions as they come up, rather than bringing
every detail to a large group consensus meeting.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood