Expanding Cohousing to Existing Neighbourhoods
From: Fritz Radandt (un203freenet.victoria.bc.ca)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 19:46 CDT
The Cardiff Place Cohousing Community is a 17 unit condominium project
within 15 minutes walking distance of downtown Victoria, BC. Our 17 units
are built on a half an acre of land which when the parking lot is added
does not leave much green space or room for gardens (although we are
currently putting in one small vegitable garden patch). Our units are
surrounded on 2 sides by many single family homes with large backyards

We would very much like to expand our community by including some of the
adjacent houses as part of our community. This would give us some more
green space for gardening or playing or lounging. It would also give us
more members to share our common facilities which can easily accomodate
more persons, especially families with children.

We have many questions about the logistics of adding single family homes
to a condominium style project and to our knowledge no one has yet
attempted this.

1. Assuming the neighbours wish to join our group or sell it to someone
who does, does it make sense to legally amalgamate the properties or is it
preferable to create an informal arrangement?

2. Howdo we fairly calculate what the new homes must contribute to
community costs?

3. How do we fairly calculate the contibution of duties of the new home
residents?

4. Are there any other issues involved in expanding to include surrounding
homes that we should be aware of?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
Fritz Radandt