Vision Statement
From: Mac Thomson (machappyvalley.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 95 13:49 CDT
> Awhile back we urged people to send their cohousing group's visions to
> the list server so people could see the kinds of things that are
> important to others.  Also helpful would be the group's agreements with
> each other -- interpersonal, business, etc.

> Anything you have, even working drafts, may well help other groups.

VISION
To create and live in a community which fosters harmony with each other, the
larger community, and Nature.

VALUES
Our Values are the ideals which we try to live by as a community.
Honesty and Trust
We act with openness and honesty because of the trust we have in each other.
We have the courage and trust to speak up when we see contradictions or
inconsistencies between our behavior and our stated values and goals.
Cooperation
Through generosity, sharing, and compassion, we live cooperatively with one
another.  When appropriate, we place the interests of the community ahead of
our personal self interests.
Support
Our community supports friendship and an extended family environment, thereby
creating a sense of belonging.  We support the growth of each other
individually and the relationships amongst us.  Each of us is willing to work
on our own personal growth (communication skills, compassion and
understanding, facilitation skills, etc.) so that we can improve those
relationships.
Respect
We respect the freedom of each person to live as he/she chooses, so long as
that doesn't interfere with others in the community to do the same.  We
respect personal privacy.  We respect diversity in ideology, spirituality,
interests, talents, beliefs, opinions, race, age, income, etc., etc., etc.
and welcome expressions of that diversity.
Equality and Fairness
We value every member, including children, equally and treat them with
fairness.
Stewardship
We live gently on the Earth.  We are thankful for Nature's resources being
conscious to take good care of them and use them efficiently.
Safety
Our community is a safe place  emotionally, physically, spiritually, etc.
Balance
We maintain balance in our community life:  between group and individual;
between building for tomorrow and enjoyment of today; between heart, mind,
and soul; etc., etc., etc.
Responsibility
Each of us, as well as all of us as a community, takes responsibility for our
actions.
Flexibility
Creating community is an ongoing process.  We remain flexible to change.

    Mac Thomson                         San Juan Cohousing
    Mac [at] HappyValley.com           Durango, Colorado

  "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
                      - Soren Kierkegaard

- via registered copy of BulkRate 2.0

--Sent from HappyValley FirstClass BBS 904.246.9255