RE: Profiles of List Participants L-Z
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 16:36:27 PDT
This is the second half of the profiles. I sent the first half and if
you didn't get it and want it let me know.

Name:       Linda Lamb
E-Mail:     lamb [at] ora.com
Birthdate:  12/28/49
Family:     Two children, almost ready to leave home (17 & 19)
Education:  Stanford University, cultural anthropology
            1 year law school (I decided I didn't want to be one)
Community:  Sebastopol Cohousing Group (We'll do another, more
 specific name once we have a site.)
Location:   small town in Sonoma County, north of San Francisco
Stage of Development: Planning stages.  We have been meeting for about
a year; currently working on by-laws and financial  statements.  We
have spent the past year building community and educating ourselves.
Currently have 12
households; we aim to have 20-24.  We're adding one or   two households
each time we have a potluck or public meeting.
What I do for money:  Editor for O'Reilly & Associates, publisher. Last
book was Using Email Effectively; next book is  the Computer User's
Survival Guide (health risks and what to do about them).
What I do for fun:  being/walking outdoors (beach or forest)  women's
spirituality group, choir, church; reading (a predilection for SF, but
most other things too);
 movies; crafts.
Favorite thing about community:  Finding ways to incorporate  ideals
into practical, everyday life.  (For example, our group plans on having
a 4-bed board and care unit, since there are few choices for elderly
people here.)
Worst thing about community:  I do get tired of the meetings, although
we're breaking a number of things out into committees, now.
If I was in charge, I would:  have fewer humans and more trees.

Name:  Carrie Ann Lucas
E-Mail:  Carrie.Ann.Lucas [at] saipan.com (after July 15)
Marital status:  Single
Age:    24
Family:  me, myself, & I at this time
Community:  none, hope to have one in the future
Location:  Saipan (in the northern Pacific) and Colorado
What I do for $:  Teacher and Certified Athletic Trainer
Best thing about community:  that will be one out there when I'm ready to
settle down
Worst thing about community:  I may need to change professions to affford to
buy in one 8-)

John Major
jmajor [at] dayna.com
Wasatch CoHousing?  (AKA "WaCoHo", founded and run by the "WaCoHopies".) We
have a great site, and just finished the CoHousing Company's "Getting It
Built" workshop, so now we're out looking for a cadre of willing and
enlightened professionals to help us, well, get it built! It'll be a wild
summer...

Profile? Former classic guitarist and composer, now software developer (a
common progression...), grew up in Davis, CA (wife Marti founded the "Blue
Mango" - now there's history!), and finding in CoHousing  the promise of
small-town life and culture that I've been looking for for a long time.

David Mandel,
75407.2361 [at] compuserve.com
Southside Park Cohousing, Sacramento, CA
Born in Chicago
First turned on to community living during a year in kibbutz after high school
Stints as a student and radical activist in Ohio and New York, a couple years
each Then 10+ years in Israel, mostly Jerusalem, working as a journalist and
continuing as a political trouble maker and doing law school in between.
In Sacramento since 1985, finally escaping mainstream journalism last year and
now working for Legal Services of Northern California as staff attorney for its
Senior Legal Hotline.
Second main job: parenting and other family stuff.
Other real work: since late 1988, developing our cohousing place (25 units,
urban, mixed income, completed in September 1993 -- see the second edition of
McCamant/Durett's Cohousing book or a recent article here by Don Lindemann for
more details); perpetual involvement in progressive Jewish groups, most often
working with Palestinians and others in support of Israeli-Palestinian peace.
Fun stuff: Getting back into my viola after many years of neglect; escaping to
wilderness areas whenever possible to hike, ski, canoe, etc.

Hune E. Margulies
e-mail: Hune [at] columbia.edu
Ph.D. program in Urban Planning @ Columbia University
Principal: H. Margulies & Assoc.
           Housing and Community Development Consultants

Name:   Michael Mariner
E-Mail:   mmariner [at] aol.com
Birthdate:  6/5/45
Marital status:  Single
Family (children, pets, etc):  The Yellow Squirrel Farm folk and my future
community (Don't ask how the squirrels got yellow)
Education (where, what):   BA English, Ft. Pickle, (CSU) Colo.  (Go ahead,
ask why it was called "Ft. Pickle" by it's friends)
Home Address:    Boulder, CO
Community (if any):  forming on the ethereal plane - (post novel)
Location:  NE quadrant of Colo., most likely
Stage of Development:  Ethereal, looking for site
What I do for money:  Computer training/consulting, writing, quasi-pro video
What I do for fun:  Write fiction, songs, poetry; play guitar, banjo, drums;
swim, hike, bike, video,
Favorite thing about community:  Dreaming, fantasizing, novelizing about it
Worst thing about community:  Opening my eyes and discovering I ain't in one
currently.

If I was in charge, I would:  (Macro)  Restructure our culture so the
pyramid is resting on a side, not standing on a point.  The present
top-heavy structure defies laws of nature and humanity.  [Hint:
getting yourself a community is a major step in getting the pyramid to
return to resting on it's side -- the grassroots, the collective you and me.]
(Micro)  Mandate that all manufacturers of audio/video equipment be required
to label all the ports so they're readable - no black-on-black letters
allowed.

Name:  Russell Mawby
E-Mail:  cohosoc [at] web.apc.org
Birthdate:  March 24, 1960
Community (if any):  we (Jill and I, married 7 years) have been able to find
at least some community where ever we have lived, or has community found
us?
Location:  Southern Ontario, east of Toronto, is where we feel "at home".
Stage of Development:  On-going! and probably never ending.
What I do for money:  1) Currently work as an architect for a big, fairly
well-known practice, 2) but increasingly venturing out on my own, to write,
teach, and help (re)build the greater community I live in.
What I do for fun:  Part 2 of the above, plus read, hike, and just generally
live a life.
Favorite thing about community:    The surprises, both wonderful and not
so, that help me understand who I am, and what living is, can be and
should be.
Worst thing about community:  how difficult we sometimes make it.

If I was in charge, I would: give everyone a one-way ticket somewhere, take
away their credit cards, and see what happens.  This should probably
happen around age 18, but anytime will do. . .

Name:            Donna E. McDaniel
E-Mail:          76063.1150 [at] compuserve.com
Community:       Commonweal Cohousing
Location:        TBD Western Boston exurbs
Marital status:  Divorced
Age:             60
Family:          Mother of rock drummer and computer whiz.
                 Grandmother of three, all in Colorado.
  What I do for $: Freelance journalist and editor.
What I do/am:    Involved in community and politics. Quaker. Member of chorus
                 that travelled to Russia and is soon going to China, to be
                 with musicians and to break down barriers between those
                 countries and the U.S.A.  Excited about finding a community
                 after years of searching (usually unconciously).

Community I want:Includes people committed to creating a community that:
    - Is healthy, connected, and caring; physically, environmentally,
      and emotionally
    - Offers opportunity to have a lot to say about the design of
      where I live, and the opportunity to share life's work and
   life's fun with others.

Name:   Michael Murray/ Susan Jorgenson
E-Mail:   michael [at] mentus.com; susan [at] mentus.com
Birthdate:  1/24/62 - 1/23/65
Marital status:  married
Family (children, pets, etc):  many plants, a few lady beetles
Education (where, what):   (M) Math/Csci U of MN ; (S) MIS, Augsburg College
Community (if any):  none formally; large, informal network of artists,
musicians and occasional software-type ne'er do wells tied together by love
of creativity and intellect... ok, no informal community either!
Location:  Mpls/St. Paul now... future here or near the ocean which I sorely
miss! (M)
Stage of Development:  dream-state... had core group for "rural"/sustainable
group 1.5 -2 years ago which didn't materialize, still fantasize about urban
group w/big shared gardens and solar panels etc., etc. I believe my "type"
needs no introduction in this regard... you've all met 'em.
What I do for money:  we're software engineers whatever that means... I
don't like to bore people with work details unless asked..
What I do for fun:  music: bagpipes, guitar pop, techno-ambient, celtic,
you-name-it we probably enjoy it (or better yet attempt it!) (M); Garden -
we grow a decent percentage of our fruit and veg (higher % in Summer of
course) and occasionally barter w/cafe up the block for sandwiches etc.; Try
to decipher Pynchon or really, really suss out Kierkegard (probably didn't
even spell it right!) for fun.
Favorite thing about community:  People, I love people. As my Dad used to
say: "Once you understand what makes people tick, how can you hate anyone?"
(paraphrased). CoHo seems so eminently logical, such an _appropriate_
solution to so many problems, that we  had quite a little epiphany when we
found out about it. Bet we're not alone in that regard either.

Worst thing about community:  That sinking feeling that each day we spend
outside of a vibrant coho community is another day wasted from a very finite
amount of time -- it's such a short go-round really -- we (everyone) seem to
find so many creative ways to defeat our better selves and our better ideas
somehow. Sigh. <Pinch> Huh? Oh, yes! "Consensus"! "Consensus" is very hard
work indeed!

If I was in charge, I would:  Find someone more capable and hand over
control. But before handing over control, I'd place a burden of
"repeatability and demonstrability" (like scientists are supposed to have)
on political initiatives to attempt to curb dogma at the leadership level.
No shortage of dogmatic folks up there these days... sheesh.

Name:  Glen Oructt
E-Mail:  gorcutt [at] prowess.com
Community (if any):  Valley Oaks Village,
Location:  Chico, CA
Birthdate:  12/8/57
Marital status:  Separated (ex-wife will live in cohousing too).
Family (children, pets, etc):  3-year-old daughter Miranda
Education (where, what):  B.S. Engineering Physics, Ohio State
Stage of Development:  Site Preparation
What I do for money:  Product Support for Cancer Therapy Software
What I do for fun:  Play folkdance music, hike, bicycle
Favorite thing about community:  Shared meals
Worst thing about community:  Work making it happen

Name:  Marty (Martha) Roberts
E-Mail:  MartyR707 [at] aol.com
Community (if any):  Sonoma County, CA - zeroing in on a site, heavy
community building in progress
Location:  Somewhere in Sonoma County (to be announced soon hopefully)
Birthdate:  7/25/45
Marital status:  Single
Family (children, pets, etc):  Golden retriever "Molly", 2 cats: "Willow"
and "Scamper" (plus lots of cousins, sister, aunts, niece, nephew, etc.)
Education:  2 yrs. at Connecticut College, New London; B.A. in art history
from U. of Wisconsin, Madison;  2nd B.A. in Environmental Studies and
Planning from Sonoma State University; some art classes, etc., from our local
Junior College.
Home Address:  Santa Rosa, CA
Stage of Development:  as above - waiting to find land-certain, lots of
community building, legal structure filed with the state, getting to know
each other and liking it.
What I do for money:  self-employed public relations and event planning
consultant, work with nonprofits, occasional political campaigns; looking for
something new.
What I do for fun:  hike, swim, travel, read, garden, party, dance, soak in
hot springs, walk the coast, walk my dog, sip fine wine, etc....
Favorite thing about community:  Commitment, relationship, fun, learning,
growing
Worst thing about community:  Meetings!! (altho sometimes they're fun)
If I was in charge, I would:  Give everyone a pill to eliminate greed and
open their eyes to the beauty of our natural environment.  (Too idealistic?
you asked.)

Rob Sandelin
Robsan [at] Microsoft.com
Sharingwood Cohousing
I have been involved with Sharingwood for five years. Sharingwood is a
group of 12 homes on 38 acres of woods, in Snohomish County, about an
hour from Seattle, WA.  We are growing to become 25-29 homes someday,
as we develop a second phase.  We have 48 members, 33 adults and 15
kids, share dinners 4 nights a week.  All available lots in phase1 and
phase 2 are sold out and we just began our common house construction in
May of 95.
I am a 39 yr. old writer, cohousing and communities evangalist,
compiler of the Cohousing Resource Guide,  organizer of the Puget Sound
Cohousing Network, group process consultant, founder-board member-and
newsletter editor of the Northwest Intentional Communities Association.
 I am married, have 2 wonderful little girls, study and teach natural
history, and have been a rock and folk guitar player for 25 years.  In
my spare time I send email.

Name:             Barry Savage
E-Mail:             Sofistic [at] aol.com, BarryS3664 [at] aol.com, HumboldtS
[at] aol.com
Birthdate:         02/08/41
Marital Status:  Single
Family:             One son, lives in Portland Oregon and is a laser scanner
operator for a graphic arts company; six cats, one of whom just learned how
to turn the tall kitchen garbage container over so it can eat cantaloupe
remains -- I had to rename it "Dumpster."
Education:        B.A., M.A., teaching credential, Humboldt State University,
Arcata, CA, USA.  Majored in Sociology, with emphasis in General Systems
theory, Statistics, Economics and Linguistics.  Minored in Biology.
Do For Money:  Director of Institutional Research in a community college.
Do For Fun:      Cooking, Music (play guitar, bass), Photography, gardening,
multi-track recording (audio), net surfing, statistical trend tracking,
Currently developing a research institute for community development.
Favorite Thing About Community:  Helps reduce alienation, helps restore more
natural human relations (as opposed to isolation).
Worst Thing About Community:  Has the potential to become confining and
claustrophobic.
If I Were In Charge, I would:(Macro) Work toward restructuring social
relations from hierarchic and patriarchic to collaborative and partnership.
(Micro) -- Following Mike's example -- Make the instrument and audio
indicators in cars large and brightly lit so I don't drive into the ditch
everytime I try to reset the frequency on my radio or try to read the
odometer.  Make computers in jewel colors instead of plain-putty.

Diane Simpson.
dqs [at] world.std.com
 I am not yet in an official cohousing
"group" but I am involved in some very serious reseach in the
cohousing development process with another couple from Jamaica Plain. We
met four months ago at the Cohousing Center in Watertown, and since that
time have had a couple of meetings, one of which was to go visit two
cohousing projects in the western part of the state.

 I am a graphic designer  and I live in the
Jamaica Plain section of Boston.
I have lived in Jamaica Plain for eighteen years. I am forty years of
age. I used to be a medical lab technician before I quit my job and went
back to school to study graphic design. I chose graphic design because I
wanted to be able to communicate with people visually. I suppose I chose
to study cohousing because I chose to communicate with people on a deeper
level.
My husband is an archivist--he works for the city of Boston.
We have no children...we became involved in cohousing through our work in
the neighborhood crimewatch group. The crimewatch group became a
neighborhood-building group, one thing led to another, and before long we
were involved in cohousing.
We are heavily involved in recycling (Dave is the neighborhood block
captain) and I at least am very interested in developing a community
whose vision statement reflects a belief in a sustainable lifestyle
(including use of non-toxic materials). I read this list every night to
get ideas for my potential community and also to learn about the pitfalls
that other groups have faced so that I can (hopefully) avert them with my
own.

Calvin D. Smith
75061.1026 [at] compuserve.com
Born 1949 in a farming community in Western New York State.
Attended Cornell U during the turbulent late sixties but did not
graduate.  Went on to travel and work as a professional musician.

We have been working on joining the EcoVillage at Ithaca
cohousing group since the beginning of 1995.  We are potentially
one of the buyers under the offering plan for one of  the 5 houses that
were not committed under the terms of the corporation that was
set up for EcoVillage Cohousing.

Took up guitar-building and restoration.  Was interested in the
commune/homesteading movement of the sixties and seventies.
Married in 1976.  We raised dairy goats for a number of years
in addition to my primary professional work with musical
instruments.  Instead of goats we now have two children,
aged 5 and 10.  As a craftsperson, for years I envisioned a crafts-
supported community apart from the economic mainstream.
Our family made a number of attempts to establish community
living situations with other families, but none were successful.
We live in Perry City, New York (central New York State)
on six acres in non-traditional housing.  My wife and I both
currently hold managerial positions in different book-publishing
enterprises.

Donna Spreitzer
dmspreit [at] wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us
N Street Cohousing
As one of the founders of N Street Cohousing in Davis, California, I must
admit that I can't think of a place I'd rather live.  Beginning with a
couple of neighbors tearing down fences, N Street has grown organically
and now consists of 14 units, 35 adults and 18 kids.  From the street we
look like typical 1955 tract housing, but from the back, a flagstone path
meanders through lush, green garden beds as it passes from house to house
connecting neighbors, friends, and family.We eat together, plan our futures
together, work, play, and vacation together.

With this said, I am in the process of relocating to Toronto Ontario with my
partner, Scott Mabury,  and daughter, Scotia.  I look forward to getting
connected with the cohousing movement up there, as I don't think I will
be able to survive very long all alone in suburbia.

Stuart Staniford-Chen:
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu:
N St Cohousing:

N St is a cohousing community in Davis, CA.  It has 13 houses and
is unusual because it was constructed by just taking the fences down
between existing houses.  The largest houses was converted to the
common house.  The design has arisen organically over time.

I'm a researcher in Computer Science, specifically intrusion
detection systems.  I'm married, no kids.  I maintain the Cohousing
World Wide Web pages.  I'm into gardening, brewing my own beer,
woodworking.  I'm 29 years old.

Heather Sullivan-Catlin
Member of the Capital District CoHousing Group in Albany, New York
25 year old married female with one cat and one dog
Currently living in a two family house with our very close friends (and
    landlords) with meal sharing,co-gardening and shared dog-rearing.
Also, working on a doctoral dissertation in sociology at SUNY-Albany
    the subject of which is, you guessed it, cohousing.

Name:  Mac Thomson
E-Mail:  Mac [at] HappyValley.com
Community:  San Juan Cohousing
Location:  Durango, Colorado
Birthdate:  August 3, 1959
Stage of Development:  My wife Sandy & I are currently working as project
managers doing the intial research and organization work to make cohousing
happen here.  We have a group of interested friends who will hopefully evolve
into a committed core group.  The eventual size of the community will be 15
to 30 homes composed of whatever kinds of folks feel drawn to live in
community near Durango, Colorado.  We would like to own 80 to 100 acres with
the vast majority set aside as a nature preserve.

What I do for money:  My professional background is as a CPA and business
manager.  After Sandy and I spent 4 years backpacking the world and visiting
numerous traditional agrarian villages en route, we decided we wanted to live
our lives in community.  And we want our children, who should begin arriving
in November of '95, to grow up in community.

Where I've lived:  My geography includes Minnesota (my home state), Kansas
(KSU), San Francisco, and Durango.

What I do for fun:  I love Nature and playing with Her (that's why
Durango),travel (obviously), playing sports of all kinds (particlarly
ultimate and snowboarding these days), photography, woodworking,  animals of
all kinds, eating and drinking to excess (in moderation, of course), and
doing any and all of the above with loved ones.

Favorite thing about community:  That there's no instant gratification about
it.  I can't just buy it at Wal-Mart or download it.  In order to be in it, I
must be willing to challenge myself emotionally, continually transform
myself, and continually emerge as a better person.

Worst thing about community:  That it's not an ingrained part of our culture.
 So most people live with very little of it and those of us who crave it must
swim hard against the mainstream simply to create the opportunity for it.

If I was in charge, I would:  Give everyone's consciousness a little nudge up
in the direction of the 4th chakra (i.e., more love) and then step down, get
out of the way, and watch beautiful things happen.

Blaise Tobia
 tobiabj [at] post.drexel.edu
   Philadelphia, PA
- serving as contact person for the Delaware Valley CoHousing Association,
   an umbrella group encompassing several potential site-development projects:
   one urban-retrofit (Germantown/Mt. Airy; close to happening)
   two new-construction (Shawmont and Lambertville; still in early stages)
- artist/photographer/teacher (at Drexel University's College of Design Arts)
- interested in CoHousing personally, politically and artistically

Name:  Kevin Wolf
E-Mail:kjwolf [at] wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us
Community (if any): N Street Cohousing
Location: N and Lessley Streets in Davis
Birthdate: 12/29/56
Stage of Development: first fence down in 1986. 12 houses now.
What I do for money:environmental consulting. Run an Internet consulting
company.
 What I do for fun: hang with my community, play with kids, go rafting
Favorite thing about community:  the people, the kidss, the community
Worst thing about community:  can't think of it
If I was in charge, I would: take money out of elections.  Pass campaign
finance reform and make the playing field much more level.