RE: newsletters
From: Marci Malinowycz (SoDanceclassic.msn.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:21:52 -0600
I can think of two types of newsletters (at least), about which you might be
asking: one to pass news to current members, another to be a device for
publicity and recruitment.

(Aside: I'd like to see archives of all types of newsletters be kept and made
available through the new Cohousing Network, as one of the resources that come
as a benefit of membership.)

My community, Puget Ridge Cohousing in Seattle, did not have either type of
newsletter. To handle the rapid flow of news among ourselves in the late
development and construction time, for which a newsletter would have been too
slow and too much added work, we used a voicemail service. We recorded a
greeting that gave information to any outside caller, but the mailbox was not
much used for outside contact. Any of us could leave a voice message in the
mailbox giving an announcement or other piece of news. Each member had the
password to the mailbox and could listen to the stack of messages, deleting
old ones when no longer needed. It worked quite well in lieu of a newsletter.
I recommend this system.

-- Marci Malinowycz
   Puget Ridge Cohousing
   sodance [at] msn.com