Re: Renters in cohousing
From: RodLambert (RodLambertaol.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 08:33:15 -0500
Ginger,
Here at Ecovillage at Ithaca we have 30 units built. At any one time we have 2
- 3 units rented out. So far renters have contributed well to the community
life, pitching in as anyone else. They rarely however go to our 4 hr bussiness
meetings. I can't comment on how larger numbers would affect village life but
doubt there would be significant change given the 'self screening' process
that they go through. I am not however someone who believes that you can take
people at random off the street. Our next neighborhood cluster ( we are
planning on 4 - 5) expected to start construction next year, will have rental
spaces actually planned in and subsidized in some manner as needed. (Ithaca is
ripe with folks who seem to have better things to do than 'waste' their time
making money!)

Rod Lambert
Development Management
Second Neighborhood Group