RE: modular construction for a common house?
From: cynthia . e . carpenter (cynthia.e.carpenterus.arthurandersen.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:06:48 -0600
All of Cambridge Cohousing was built using modular construction.  This
includes townhouses, stacked apartments, and the common "house" - which is
really the basement and first floor of a 4-story apartment building.  So it
can be done.  However, many of the benefits we hoped for from modular
building didn't materialize.  The project went way over deadline and budget
and we're experiencing many quality problems, particularly with the HVAC
system.  It's not clear to me how much of this was due to the modular
building company and how much was due to issues with project management and
design, but at least at this point, we're not a good reference site for
modular building of common houses or cohousing projects.

- Cindy
Cambridge Cohousing

message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and
notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet
email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions,
conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given
or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an
authorized representative independent of this message.