Re: ROMANTICIZING COHOUSING
From: Bitner/Stevenson (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:00:25 -0600 (MDT)
[I had put my reply to this in my "drafts" folder last night, thinking I
didn't want to send it unless I read in the morning with a clear head and
still liked it. Having read Catherine's letter this morning, I think mine is
pretty tame. One thing I would be careful about, Catherine, is assuming
things about other people's pasts. I, for one, tend to get pretty huffy when
people do that to me. Let's just stick to what we know.]

> Allen, your examples remind me of communes in the 60s.  Free love, flower
> power, groovy baby.  Swinging - the 60s term for polyamory/serial monogamy
> - isn't really romance.  It's an alternative lifestyle that can be
> destructive to relationships in the long term, and I wouldn't choose to
> live in a cohousing community that supported it.
>
> Deb

Well...I don't have a say in what other people do with their private lives,
even in cohousing, unless it directly affects me. It's pretty shaky ground,
asking a community to make a decision about whether or not to "support" a
particular lifestyle. I don't see it happening. That's one of the many
reasons some people choose cohousing instead of a more familial intentional
community.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing