Meals and Dietary Preferences & Requirements
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 07:17:02 -0600 (MDT)
We are just getting our meal program going and I have some questions about
how you handle all the diet stuff.

I have diabetes that is diet controlled except when I eat commonhouse meals.
Then I go over the top with all the high-glycemic-index food and it takes
several days to get back on track.  Starch seems to be the order of the
day--starch over starch with salad on the side followed by sugar.

No one  is forcing me to eat the absolutely delicious food, mind you, but
when faced with another meal where the only thing I _should_ eat is salad, I
can see I need to do something differently.

THEN when I think of cooking for the group I start with a menu, calculating
amounts and logistics, thinking about how delicious this meal will be, etc.,
and run right into restrictions -- wheat-sensitive, lactose-intolerant,
vegan, vegetarian, meat necessary, no "junk", child friendly, no hot spices.

I know perfectly well how to cook for all these preferences/restrictions
(and have been on one or the other of these diets myself at one time or
another) but the complexity of cooking for all of them at the same time
takes all the anticipated fun out of it for me. You become a short order
cook.

Commonhouse meals were one of the things I was looking forward to most but
they have become a booby-trap. How do you all handle this?

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org