Re: Meals and Dietary Preferences & Requirements
From: Mabel Liang (mabeltwomeeps.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:46:02 -0600 (MDT)
Sharon,

It occurs to me that perhaps some more education is needed for your cooks.
I, for one, didn't know that starch is a problem for diabetics.  I'm
familiar with the cliche that sugar is a problem, and I know of sugar-free
cakes, etc.  But the fact that sugar-free cakes are OK (for at least SOME
diabetics) suggested to me that sugar in the more complex form of starch is OK.

So maybe if you can give your community some idea of what does and doesn't
work for you, you'll find more common meals that you can eat.

                                                -- Mabel :-)

Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA
where all 4 buildings are now rising from the ground, and we have one
townhouse left for sale

At 09:16 AM 2001-07-02 -0400, Sharon Villines wrote:
>We are just getting our meal program going and I have some questions about
>how you handle all the diet stuff.
>
>I have diabetes that is diet controlled except when I eat commonhouse meals.
>Then I go over the top with all the high-glycemic-index food and it takes
>several days to get back on track.  Starch seems to be the order of the
>day--starch over starch with salad on the side followed by sugar.
>
>No one  is forcing me to eat the absolutely delicious food, mind you, but
>when faced with another meal where the only thing I _should_ eat is salad, I
>can see I need to do something differently.
>
>THEN when I think of cooking for the group I start with a menu, calculating
>amounts and logistics, thinking about how delicious this meal will be, etc.,
>and run right into restrictions -- wheat-sensitive, lactose-intolerant,
>vegan, vegetarian, meat necessary, no "junk", child friendly, no hot spices.
>
>I know perfectly well how to cook for all these preferences/restrictions
>(and have been on one or the other of these diets myself at one time or
>another) but the complexity of cooking for all of them at the same time
>takes all the anticipated fun out of it for me. You become a short order
>cook.
>
>Commonhouse meals were one of the things I was looking forward to most but
>they have become a booby-trap. How do you all handle this?
>
>Sharon
>--
>Sharon Villines
>Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC