Re: new uk cohousing forum
From: Andrew Watkins (aw_chansae.co.uk)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:31:01 -0600 (MDT)
In article <003e01c242c5$c80422e0$0c03a8c0 [at] capu.net>,
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net (Ann Zabaldo) wrote:

> Andrew -- I joined this new listserv -- or at least applied to join!
> I'm
> very interested in the development of cohousing in the UK.
>
> Just a note -- in your YahooGroups intro message you say that cohousing
> groups are "not developer driven."  I'm interested in hearing more
> about how
> you arrived at this conclusion--esp. as some of the best coho
> communities
> here and in Canada are very much developer driven.  I'm wondering if the
> experience in the UK is very different than here in the US.

Hi Ann
you are welcome.
Can I ask you to repost your question on the uk-cohousing list, if you
can. Then I can get the first discussion going.

Anyway the short answer is that there are very few coho groups in the UK.
the high price of land and planning restrictions make it very hard. On top
of that we don't seem to have any developers doing cohousing.
Although others may know better.

Andrew