Financing - "umbrella" mortgage -- Oman
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:05:02 -0600 (MDT)
Michael Oman , MFO337 [at] aol.com
Wild Onion Cohousing Underhill Center, VT    www.wildonioncohousing.org
is the author of the message below.
   http://csf.colorado.edu/cohousing/2001/msg01672.html

Dear Cohousers,

I am a member of a fledgling cohousing group in northwestern Vermont.  We are
in the early stages of trying to make our project happen and one of the
questions that keeps coming up is financing.  We seem to be able to get most
of the answers that we need from standard sources, but there is one area that
has eluded us.  Specifically, does anyone have any experience with an
"umbrella" mortgage (i.e. a situation in which the corporation gets the total
mortgage and is collectively responsible for performance on it, but issues
individual mortgages to the community members)?  It seems that this sort of
arrangement could have distinct advantages (especially in enhanced
"affordability" options) as well as disadvantages.  Has anyone used such an
arrangement and could you share your experience?

Thanks....
Michael Oman

--
Fred H. Olson  Minneapolis,MN 55411   (near north Mpls)
fholson [at] cohousing.org 612-588-9532 (7am-10pm Cent time)