Re: Affordable co-housing? Small Units
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:16:04 -0600 (MDT)
In some cases, this is true. It very much depends on your market. In
Sacramento, where families rule, it was hard to sell the last one-bedroom
unit. Our one-beds are around 700sf, and two of them have been expanded to
two bedrooms by enclosing a deck. This is one way a family with very low
income was able to afford to live here. When they could afford it, they
built another room. It would be a good idea to plan for that, as Sharon
says.

All of our finishes were standardized so we didn't have to fight to get
anything in the one-beds that was in the larger units.

Change-orders cost money. ***Standardization is the key to keeping costs
down for everyone.***

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing