RE: Small business and shared resources questions
From: Greg Dunn (MyListsgregdunn.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:44:03 -0700 (MST)
Rhea:

I'm sure you'll get responses from people with a great deal more
experience and knowledge of cohousing than me, but we seem to agree on
some other things, I'll give you my two cents' worth of encouragement.
8-)  The apparent canonical definition of cohousing specifies that

        The community is not a primary income source for residents.
        There is no shared community economy (ala Twin Oaks): If the
        community provides residents with their primary income, this
        is a significant change to the dynamic between neighbors and
        defines another level of community beyond the scope of
cohousing.

For an example of shared community economies, see the referenced
community, Twin Oaks, at http://www.twinoaks.org/;  or Earthaven at
http://earthaven.org/homepage.htm; or the other three community links at
http://www.communitymade.com/.

But what you're asking about is something different.  Working from home
seems to be fairly commonplace in cohousing communities, at least those
I've come to know about in the SF Bay area (of course, working from home
is pretty commonplace generally in the Bay Area); and I've definitely
heard mention of coops that rent out office space and what-not to
residents. A new coop going up north of SF presents an entire block of
shops along one of its external faces. Although this was done to satisfy
city requirements for development of that particular property rather
than with a view to making income, coop residents have decided to
purchase a controlling ownership in the storefronts. These are likely to
be leased primarily to people outside the cohousing community.

And of course, even if it weren't cohousing by someone's strict
definition - which, as I say, I think it is - it could still be
something else. All you need is a group of people who agree upon some
arrangement.

Having said the latter, I would like to add that I do rather appreciate
that canonical definition of cohousing specified by Katie McCamant and
Charles Durrett, who coined the term "cohousing".  It makes it clear,
among other things, that a community need not be a commune or ashram to
provide an alternative to single-family housing.

Greg Dunn