Re: Re: Cohousing Association of the U.S?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 08:17:00 -0600 (MDT)
On 5/09/2003 7:41 AM, "Dennis Jay" <dennis.jay [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> Your wish is coming true. Coho/US plans to increase its communications to
> members three-fold this year. Previously, members received two journals and
> two newsletters a year. Now our communications plan calls for 6 magazines
> and 6 e-letters.

Thanks for this information. It does help just to hear a line or two from
time to time. Magazines and e-letters I have totally enough of so that is
not the best news for me. Too much gloss and filler. I would rather have
more frequent "news-packed" paragraphs.

> Our new name also reinforces that cohousing is about
> the "concept of us" by emphasizing the two most important letters in the
> middle of cohousing: "us."

This looks like a well intentioned and potentially very bad idea. "Us" may
become another ugly American concept and turn people off.

As in marriages, parent-child relationships, limited membership
organizations, etc., some limits are necessary to build and maintain deeper
relationships. In Bowling Alone, Putnam calls these intra-group and
cross-group relationships. But one of the reasons many of us moved to
cohousing in the first place is that it creates communities without creating
the "us" and "them" mentality of some religious and politically ideological
communities.

Sharon.