Re: Universal Design and Co-housing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:57:02 -0600 (MDT)
On 6/21/2003 12:16 AM, "Elizabeth Stevenson" <tamgoddess [at] attbi.com> wrote:

> No. I want to know why dishes have to be sterilized. Washing them and
> letting them air dry, or washing them in a dishwasher is perfectly safe.
>
> Chlorine, on the other hand, is a poison.

I don't think any public health officials agree with this. Disease
transmission by insufficiently cleaned eating utensils is one of the ways
diseases are transmitted. Everyone's concept of "hand washing" is very
different. One person uses lots of hot water and a good soap, another rinses
long enough get most obvious food particles off. Iron skillets not properly
washed and heated before use can transmit the poisoning that begins with a T
and I can't spell and neither can my spell checker.

Glasses are most likely to be just rinsed and put in the drainer all day
long by 10 year olds who have no intention of touching soap and may very
likely be carriers of viruses, etc. to which they are immune but another
person may not be. Over time a small isolated community may all develop the
same immunities, a larger community of people from which lots of people are
doing international travel, can be destroyed by a new virus -- eboli? SARS?
While the chances are it will be much less devastating, the one person
having chemo or in the early stages of pregnancy will also be seriously
affected.

While Chlorine is a poison if you drink it for dinner, small amounts (1-2
tsps.) in the rinse water do kill germs and this is the least expensive way
to prevent the spread of disease. I first learned about it in a soup kitchen
where diseases were rampant and neither a dishwasher or disposable dishes
were possible.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org