January 2003 Coho/US e-Letter
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:03:19 -0700 (MST)
Cohousing e-Letter
January 17, 2003
The Cohousing Association of the United States
http://www.cohousing.org/

Welcome to the latest issue of the Coho/US e-newsletter on cohousing
news, developments and trends.

offering in San Diego, Calif., is set for Friday and Saturday, January
30-31. The workshop will be led by two cohousing pioneers ? Zev Paiss and
Neshama Abraham of Nomad Cohousing in Boulder, CO. Only a few spaces
remain for this workshop, and while the early-bird deadline has passed,
readers of this e-Letter can receive the reduced rate of $100 if you
register before Sunday at midnight. The price includes a slide
show/discussion Friday evening, a daylong workshop with lunch on Saturday
and a comprehensive workbook on how to get started. More information:
303-413-8066 or
http://www.cohousing.org/news/seminars.html

* Building the Cohousing movement in the U.S. is the focus for Coho/US in
2004. We're already off to a good start in planning tours (including new
tours in Massachusetts and elsewhere), sponsoring workshops and
redesigning our communication program to reach as many people as we can.
Our mostly volunteer network has been remarkably successful with limited
resources, but our modest budget only goes so far. Put in perspective,
the average local developer spends more money marketing a single tract of
suburban homes than our Association spends promoting cohousing across the
entire U.S. We thank the many donors who gave at year's end ­ and if you
aren't one of them, there's still time to make a New Year's resolution to
support Coho/US. Go to our website today and make a tax-deductible
contribution today. More information:
https://secure2.anu.net/cohousing/join/join.html

* Cohousing magazine will debut online in the next two weeks with a full
plate of feature articles and the latest news.  Leading off the features
will be a "day-in-the-life" story about a group of children who helped an
injured cohouser.  In another report, a cohousing expert offers sage
advice on how communities can adopt effective pet policies. The issue
also contains useful ideas on marketing, building and living in
cohousing. If you got this e-Letter directly from us, you'll
automatically receive Cohousing magazine elecronically; if your copy was
forwarded, you need to subscribe via our website (use the "request info"
form). More information:
http://www.cohousing.org/

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
C O M M U N I T I E S

* Cohousing lost a dear friend New Years Day with the death of Evelyn F.
Schwaber, 86, of Santa Rosa, Calif. Evelyn was a veteran peace and civil
rights activist who was instrumental in helping to build Southside Park
Cohousing in the early 1990s. She is remembered by her daughter as "a
quirky, feisty, strong, courageous, funny, in-your-face woman" who
believed strife and hostility could be eased if people would just listen
to one another. A memorial service was scheduled for Jan. 16 in the
common house of Southside Park Cohousing, Sacramento, CA. Go to article:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/obituaries/story/8062573p-8995332c.html

* A business and environmental coalition in Washington, D.C., has
recognized Eastern Village Cohousing in Silver Spring, Md. as an
excellent example of smart growth. The project, currently under
construction, involves a rehab of an existing commercial building into an
attractive housing complex with 60 loft-type units. The Smart Growth
Alliance cited the project's use of an existing structure and its
proximity to public transportation and shopping. Eastern Village
Cohousing is being developed by Eco Housing in Bethesda, Md. This
recognition can help the developers gain government approval more
quickly. More information: http://www.easternvillage.org/

* When it rains, it pours: East Bay Cohousing (EBCOHO), after several
years of transition and hibernation (with the group core kept alive by
Coho/US board member Raines Cohen), is back and recently active in the
greater Oakland (CA) area near San Francisco, home to a hotbed of
cohousing activity. Members of the umbrella regional group, which focuses
on community-building and cohousing education, are pursuing not one but
at least TWO exciting potential sites. One, in the Millsmont neighborhood
of the Oakland hills, would encompass several acres, a rare find in a
crowded city. Another, just west of the major MacArthur BART transit hub,
would provide high-density urban living in a mixed-use setting, just a
short ride from San Francisco. Organizing meetings around both are
happening in the coming week. More information:
http://www.ebcoho.org/

C O H O U S I N G   I N   T H E   N E W S

* The Los Angeles Times published a 2,000-word feature story last month
profiling Tierra Nueva Cohousing in central California. Calling cohousing
"a 21st century version of a long-ago village," the article chronicled
the struggles and joys of building and living in cohousing, and advised
that one key to success is hiring an experienced cohousing developer who
can help navigate legal, political and financial obstacles. Coho/US board
member Katie McCamant of The Cohousing Company described cohousing as "an
extended family without the baggage." Go to article: (registration
required)
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/013/metro/Household_wastes+.shtml

* A few weeks back the San Francisco Chronicle ran a story highlighting
the completion of Sonoma County Cohousing in Cotati, where 30 households
moved in after five years of planning and building. The article said the
mayor of the city saw the project as "an excellent example of
high-density housing that nonetheless preserves Cotati's small-town
quality." The mixed-use project contains some commercial space where some
residents plan to have offices. More information:
http://www.cotaticohousing.org/

C O H O U S I N G   E V E N T S

Jan. 21, Wednesday, 7 PM: "An Introduction to Cohousing" slide show with
Coho/US board member Kathryn McCamant, Cohousing Company offices,
Berkeley, CA.
http://www.cohousingco.com/cale.htm

Jan. 30, Friday, 7 PM: "The Advantages of Living in Community" slide and
video show with Zev and Neshama, San Diego, CA. $5.
http://www.cohousing.org/news/seminars.html

Jan. 31, Sat.: "Creating Cohousing - The Nuts And Bolts of Building A
Cohousing Community", workshop with Zev and Neshama, San Diego, CA.
$100-$125. Inexpensive airfares still available.
http://www.cohousing.org/news/seminars.html

Mar. 13, Sat.: Northern California Cohousing [bus] Tour.
http://www.cohousing.org/news/tours.html

Mar. 27, Sat.: Massachusetts Cohousing [bus] Tour.
http://www.cohousing.org/news/tours.html

We want to tell people about your event! Write to us at
editor [at] cohousing.org.

* *

Cohousing e-Letter is published by The Cohousing Association of the
United States for its supporters and others interested in cohousing. This
issue was edited by Coho/US board member Dennis Jay and publications
coordinator Evangeline Welch. Please feel free to forward this newsletter
to others who might be interested. Send comments about this newsletter or
your cohousing activities to editor [at] cohousing.org.

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Where my studio loft unit will be available for short-term rental.

  Secretary, Berkeley [CA] Cohousing
Where we took our annual group picture when almost everybody was in town
for once.

  Supporter, East Bay Cohousing <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Looking at TWO sites in the Oakland area!

  Boardmember, Coho/US <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Last chance for the "Getting-It-Built" workshop in San Diego Jan 30.